Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "BOSS" weld terminology for GMAW
- - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-26-2008 21:43
Hey Folks,
  I have a question pertaing to the term: Boss weld, as it applies to GMAW process? I am taking an advanced GMAW course At the Rock Island Arsenal,  U.S. Army Post. This course starts in a week, and the TERM "Boss weld" has thrown me as I have never heard this before. Please if anyone has info on this..psot-up and educate me.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-27-2008 00:38
Hello Jeffrey, I'll take a stab at this one for you although I could certainly be wrong in my interpretation of this term as well. "Boss" may be a way of describing a reinforcing ring for a hole. In other words, if you have a situation where a piece of plate has a hole in it and the intent is to give this hole extra reinforcement it may entail adding a "washer, boss, or ring" on one or both sides of this hole. This would then require a single or multiple pass fillet weld regimen to complete the piece. Another scenario would actually require installing a machined bushing or "boss" in the hole and then welding it from either one or both sides to complete the installation using single or multiple weld passes. Many times the pin pivots on excavation equipment are referred to as "bosses". Hope this is close, if not I'm sure others who have experience with this terminology will chime in. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-27-2008 02:11
Hello Allan,
  I was hoping You would catch this one and give in-put. I believe Your answer is correct as I understand it. I say this because the new program I'm going into is speccific to an application required by Mclaughlin Body Co. They produce Cabs for John Deere, and also heavy equipment and transport vehicles for DOD contracts.
  I will still be continuing my other Welding school courses. I want all the experience I can soak up, and this "on post" course is very extensive. I got my Tax Return yesterday and went straight to the contact site and paid for the course....GOT THE LAST SPOT!! Guess that confirms the fact that I am meant to be a weldor. Thanks for your reply.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-27-2008 02:21
Hello again Jeffrey, this is one of the places where all of that "huge fillet weld" experience is likely going to pay off. The main difference here will be in making the weld in an arc instead of a straight line and also plan on making plenty of restarts and weld bead tie-ins. You'll likely get real good at learning how to roll your wrist while you're making these welds too, as this could be one of the methods used to maintain optimum gun or rod angle. Keep us all informed on how classes go, glad to see all of the enthusiasm on your part. I believe you ARE meant to be a welder. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 05-20-2008 04:25
Hello Allan!
  Just a quick update. Things are going extremely well with regerd to my "on - post" GMAW course. You had mentioned that I should plan on making plenty of restarts and tie-in's. Well, tonight I was practicing making 6mm  intermittent fillet welds with a  2-4 pitch. These welds were inspected for consistancy and then I was asked to make the tie-in's to form a well defined consistant bead , with no craters of less than 85% fill. I got 100% fill with no discontinuities.
I see now the difference in switching from SMAW to GMAW. I also see that there is a difference in the skill level between the two processes. IMO, SMAW requires the higher degree of skill. I had a bit of difficulty at first putting away my one handed SMAW approach and using a guide hand for this process. However, as the very nature of welding requires practice, I have overcome this problem and am now MIG welding properly.
  As for the "BOSS" welding, we are using an inverted gun angle (gun upside-down) to achieve an uninterupted weld. As You know very well, this is not as easy as it sounds. This being said...I am determined to get it correct and fully intend to have this properly done by this time next week...I hope! I will then move on to Vert-Down and Horizontal all by the end of next week. Oh, also attempted a couple 13mm multi-pass fillets tonight. I almost nailed it dead to rights on the first attempt...1mm on the small side. If I had placed a couple more tacks on the other side, it wouldn't have drawn in and I would have had it. I really should have remembered that from SMAW. Oh well, learn, practice and re-learn. There is always something to learn...and i love learning.
Hope things are well with You.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-21-2008 06:45
Hello Jeffrey, sorry for taking a while in getting back at you. Sounds like you're having a great time and learning plenty of new stuff. At the same time, you are opening plenty of new doors to your future and it won't be too long before you'll end up selecting one of those doors and making the plunge into the working world again. Keep the positive attitude going, it's always great to hear the enthusiasm in someone's words as they come to realize the basically boundless possibilities associated with the welding trades. As for me, I am well and my family is well so things can't get much better than that. Have a great day and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 05-22-2008 05:42
Hello Allan,
  You are so absolutly on target when you say my course of action is opening plenty of new doors into my future. Today, The Post's General was in the, "Joint area industrial and technology center" , where i am attending my course. He was there to evaluate the Arsenals's  need for new weldors and other tradesmen. The new mandate is to do away with any hiring of part-time positions and institute a permanent full-time (prevailing wage) hire of hundreds of new weldors. The Arsenals's civilian worker comand is going to take as many of us from this up-graded course as want to work on the Arsenal. This will mean that entry level (right out of training) students will be afforded the opportunity to grab onto a solid career, with skills/competancy based wage that has a low end start pay of $18.85 to $22.50hr. This will give us an opportunity to earn a living while learning from the very experienced existing tradesmen. These men/women will then be able to retire out and enjoy their lives and recieve their pensions.
  I spoke with one of the current Arsenal weldors today, and he was very enthusiastic about our class, and directed me to accept a position when a representative comes in to speak with us. I feel this is a very good start and will avail myself to their offers.

PS. I feel very Honored and Blessed to be in this type of situation.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-22-2008 06:47
Hello Jeffrey, that is really awesome! Certainly take full advantage of the opportunities. Look forward to hearing of your continued success. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderdude (**) Date 04-27-2008 12:05
that'll also get you more prepared for welding pipe.  one of the main differences between a structural welder and a pipe welder is the way they move their stinger hand.  a pipe welder is used to moving their hand in any direction necessary to achieve the arc characteristics they want and to react to what the puddle is doing, whereas a structural welder pretty much just goes in a straight line most of the time and doesn't have to worry about changing their angles.  welding bosses will help you get used to an ever changing angle!
Parent - - By Steve.E (**) Date 04-27-2008 03:57
Hi guys , Sockolets , Threadolets , Weldolets and couplings are all at times generically referred to as bosses where I work . Maybe thats what there getting at .
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-27-2008 06:58
Hello Steve.E, thanks for the additional information. I'll have to file that one away for future reference. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-27-2008 17:03
Hey There Guys,
Thank You all for the great information. I now understand the Terminology, and it's application. I'm pretty good at rolling my wrist to get around a circumfirential weld...but  I will soon be getting alot more practice at it and God knows I need/want all I can get! Good thing the Instructors in this new course are the "cream of the crop" in My area.
Thanks Guys.

PS. I'll also be doing welding of galvanized steel. Any one know about that?  I only know the fumes are pretty harmful (from what I've heard second hand).
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-27-2008 18:20
Hello Jeffrey, do some searching on the forum here, there are plenty of threads that discuss welding of galvanized materials, both from the technical aspects and the health aspects. The immediate general effects of not being properly protected can range from headaches to nausea and vomiting. The long-term effects can be far worse and include a shortening of one's life-span. So when you are faced with welding on galvanized materials educate yourself and protect yourself. I would'nt necessarily be afraid to weld on galvanized materials, I just say be smart about it when you are. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-27-2008 20:37
Allan,
Thank You for the heads-up on welding galvanized steel. I will do a search of the topic in the forum and become more aware of the precautions needed to protect myself.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-28-2008 02:17
Jeffery:  1)Congrats on getting the last opening in the course.

2) The term "boss" comes from casting terminology, where it refers to aditional material to provide strength, or even just a flat place where a bolt, shaft, bearing, etc is located. Look at any cast part, like an engine block, for example, and You will see many bosses, in fabricated parts they serve the same purposes.

3) Be carefull with zink and other metals that make toxic fume. We lost a member from the blacksmithing community due to zink fume agitating some pre-existing respritory problems he had. It takes proper fitting respirators with the appropriate cartriges, or units that feed clean air to get proper protection. Respirators make breathing more dificult, depending on the individual, this can be a health issue in itself.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "BOSS" weld terminology for GMAW