Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Finding CWI jobs
- - By olstinker (*) Date 04-28-2008 05:56
Hi all, im planning to take the API1104 seminar and cert. test this year and as i havent got any contacts to ask im wondering what the job options are in south La. near the TX. border for someone with a cert. that doesnt even have dry ink yet? Will it be hard to get started, what kind of starting pay is average? I dont mind traveling but i dont want to relocate permanantly. Actually id love to get paid to see Alaska. Thanks. Gene
Parent - By olstinker (*) Date 05-09-2008 15:25
anyone?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-09-2008 15:58 Edited 05-09-2008 17:29
Gene,
  IMO, the hardest part of getting started would be the "wet ink pay" that is unavoidable. You will probably have to start out low on the pay scale, but that goes away almost as quickly as the ink dries, if you apply yourself properly.

Here are some links for job searches.

http://www.ndt.org/

https://www.inspectionjobs.com/

http://roadtechs.com/

http://www.indeed.com/

And of course you have career builder, MSN, Yahoo, and many other usefull job search sites.

And there is the AWS job find.

Good luck,

John

Edited for speelin. LL
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 05-09-2008 17:17
Thanks for that post.I had no idea those sites existed,it's good information in case a man decides to drag up.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-09-2008 17:31
Ringo,
  Your welcome, hope it helps. I frequent these sites even if I am not actively looking for a job. You just never know what is out there unless you look.

John
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 05-13-2008 13:19
It will definatly help,the NDT/weld inspection is a very small world down here in east TN.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-11-2008 17:12
Cleveland Inspection, Cleveland OK (EnGlobal)
Tulsa Inspection, Tulsa OK
MBF Services, Roswell NM
DO your own search. You will need a resume and be willing to travel. If you want something in you back door when breaking out, you may become slightly dissilusioned.
These companies deal with pipeline inspection. You will need to do 3-5 years cutting your teeth in this business and developing you own network. These jobs are out there, you are just gonna have to do you own door kicking. If you know someone in this business, they can help you by recommending you to a company.
Just NEVER mess over someone who helps you or a customer. This is a really small industry and word will get around.
After 3-5 years you will run on reputation and people WILL get to know you.
BABRT's
Parent - - By olstinker (*) Date 05-11-2008 23:45
thanks guys, i am willing to travel and enjoy it actually. I just wanted to make sure if i spend the 2k or so someone will give me a start since i dont have any contacts with any inspection companys. What do you think id be getting pay wise right off the bat ? Im certainly willing to apply myself and really enjoy learning.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-11-2008 23:57
There was an ad in the Hobbs NM paper today (11-MAY-08) for pipeline welding inspectors for jobs in Texas NM and Colorado
send resume to:
Inspection Services
P O Box 1
McDonald, NM 88262
Dont know who it is or who the job is for.
Would be worth 0.42 to find out though.
Parent - - By olstinker (*) Date 06-02-2008 00:07
just wondering how many ppl. on this board are actually working as CWI's? I dont know 1 personally so i dont have someone 2 sit down with and pick their brains.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-02-2008 00:40
I am. :-)
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 06-02-2008 00:57
I am also! :)
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-02-2008 01:57
As part of my duties I do CWI inspections. It is about 20% of my work.
Parent - - By olstinker (*) Date 06-02-2008 04:55
well,if any of you CWI guys would be willing to spare a few min. for me my # is 337- 580-4080 and id like to get some input from some1 in this field. Best time to call is at nite as i work nites so im up whether im home or not. But ill answer anytime that works for you. thanks in advance. Oh , feel free to call collect if out of my area.{ can you call collect on a cell phone?}  Gene
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-02-2008 12:15
Gene,
  6-2-08 called and left a message. You must be crashed out already. Left my cell#. Call back when you wake up.

jrw159
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 06-03-2008 11:56
I am (aerospace)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Finding CWI jobs