Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.2 Welder Performance Qualifications
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-30-2008 15:07
I am looking at Figure 3.13 and the table directly below.

I am thinking about wrap around bend testing for M22 aluminum  1/8" or less. [down to 18 ga <0.040>]  This figure suggests that a whole bunch of mandrels are going to be necessary to qualify different sheet thicknesses.

Since the metal is so thin, would I be totally out of compliance if I constructed a wrap around fixture than secured one end of the coupon and I simply grasped the other end with a clamping device and wrapped the thing around the mandrel (dimension "A")  ????

Rather than buy or have our machine shop produce a bunch of additional parts for our wrap around tester I was thinking it would be pretty easy to bend these thin coupons by  hand in a solidly built hand wrap fixture with multiple mandrels I could simply screw into place....  Is the "Roller" in fig 3.12 a requirement?

It seems like the "General Notes" at the bottom of Figure 3.13 suggest this is possible... I just want to make sure I'm making a sound interpretation.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-30-2008 16:48
When testing thin sheet metal gage material I use a drill of proper size as the mandrel and grip both ends with "vise grip" pliers and "pull" the sample around the drill bit. I clamp the drill bit in a vise. I usually pinch the free ends of the sample around the mandrel (drill bit) with the same vise grips to ensure the bend radius has been achieved. Often there is some degree of spring back which makes it appear that a large radius was utilized. 

It seems to work very nicely for the thin materials and it results in the weld being centered on the bend, which is nearly impossible using any wrap around machine I've seen or used.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-30-2008 17:47
Drill bits!

Al,  You are a genius!

Thank you...... I feel much more comfortable with my plans.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-01-2008 13:30
Yeah I think your on the right track Lawrence.  Here are some bends that came from a very reputable testing facility in Chicago to kind of let you know how things get done or don't get done out there.  They were done for procedure qualification before I got here.  Keep in mind that those are supposed to have a 2-1/16" bend diameter. They lost some of the paperwork for one of the procedures, hence why I am having to do them over now.  How they're still in business I have no idea. Glad to see you are taking your job seriously and wanting to do things right.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/vdubin474/badbendstrappic.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/vdubin474/badbendstrappic4.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/vdubin474/badbendstrappic3.jpg
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-03-2008 15:17
Standard results if you test heat treatable (P/S/M23 or F23 for example) aluminum alloys in a standard plunger and die type bending machine.

It is unusual that the lab actually have the proper diameter dies. Most labs have the standard 1 1/2 inch diameter die and use it for everything.

API 1104, if my memory serves me, uses the standard 1 1/2 inch diameter for all material thicknesses and all grades of steel.

Best regards - Al 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.2 Welder Performance Qualifications