Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Why, Oh Why Must We Qualify ANOTHER WPS!!!!!
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 05-01-2008 12:33 Edited 05-01-2008 12:37
Dear All-
I am one who has always placed blind faith in the procedure and welder qualification requirements of any Code or Specs that govern the jobs we are asked to do.  But I spend an enormous amount of time in nearly endless debate with management, engineers and, hate to say it, even our troop of welders, explaining why we need to do this.  Frankly they're wearing me down.  My two standard answers and defenses are:

1. "it's all about managing the heat - if we don't dial in & prove out the variables with mechanical testing, we risk rework due to cracks, latent defects due to stress corrosion and other heat affected strength/toughness reductions"

and more and more I resort to

2. "because the Code requires it. Period."

Answer #2 doesn't wash anymore. It costs my department at least $7500 (fully loaded) to draft and test one new procedure depending on material and applicable requirement, then additional cost to test one or more of the welders . Now the attack has taken a new form - WHY CAN"T WE BUY PROCEDURES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN QUALIFIED?. 

How do I answer that?  If a procedure was qualified by Company X, using the same process, even the same machine, same brand of rod/wire why can't we adopt someone else's procedure if we obtain all their original PQR documentation as well?  Naturally some time would need to be spent with familiarizing on someone else's procedure, but maybe this is a viable option?  If not, why not???   Opinions please based on either AWS  or  ASME piping (31.1) and Sect VIII requirements.

Help needed and thankyou.
Tom
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 05-01-2008 13:29
Here is a better argument,

Weld procedures improve quality by creating repeatability.  Example; If I asked you to bake cookies without a recipe would they be edible?  If I asked a group of people to bake cookies with different recipes would they all taste the same?  A weld procedure is a recipe for a good weld and when properly applied ensures that the quality of the final product will meet the design specifications.

Can you buy weld procedures or use someone else's?  The short answer is yes.  If the weld procedure was done in accordance with your particular code requirments and well documented and you company policy allows for it there is nothing in any code that I am aware of that prohibits this.

$7500.00 is a ton of money.  I would like to have that contract!

My first thought here would be to find out why it is costing you so much.  A preocedure qualified by testing should not be anywhere near that high. 

My second though is send the work my way and I will do your testing for you for half that and still laugh all the way to the bank.  Sorry that wasn't helpful.
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 05-01-2008 14:53
Goose-
The recipe approach is a good one. I will adopt that in my next argument.

As far as costs, your reaction is exactly what I get 2x or 3x times a week (do you work upstairs?)

The cost I cited accounts for every minute of effort that is applied to a procedure - from buying material, rough cutting plate to coupon sizes, machine shop support to grind bevels or whatever joint we're doing, of course the shop needs a drawing to be prepared; QA gets involved with signing off on certs and what ever dimensional inspections may apply to all of that business; drafting the procedure and all PQR documentation; welders time to weld; engineers time to discuss with welder and monitor; if pwht is involved that takes on another group of costs; prepare scope of work documents for outside lab tests; cost of lab tests; QA review/signoff on all of that; engineers time to formalize PQR into final WPS. Then all costs are almost (but not fully) duplicated for the welders tests.   All of those labor elements are compounded by whatever our shop OH is. What do you think a realistic cost should be?

So the easy answer to my dilemma IS to purchase WPS/PQR packages from someone else. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe I need to rethink this and give up the resistance.

Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-01-2008 15:17
tom, one of my typical pqr's will cost about $500. That includes everything. Unless your using an unusually base metal or welding process i can't see why it's so expensive. Even then I can't see it. I believe that aws sells wps'.
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 05-01-2008 15:32
$500?!?!  For a NEW "start from scratch" procedure?  That isn't possible.   I just paid $3100 for 3/4" thick CrMo test plates already cut to size (12 pieces). That was not a bargain but I could not have bought and prepped coupons in-house as fast as this guy delivered. 
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-01-2008 15:57
Tom,
  I am with Goose-Em on this one, And I am going to step all over his toes. LOL :-)

PM me the next time you need something qualified as I could probably have it done for half that, paying my third party and still come out like a bandit just as the middle man.

Sorry Goose-Em, just kidding. :-)

In all seriousness, you may want to shop around a bit. You may even want to try this forum next time this arises. As you can see by now, there are already people ready to cut that price and still make a profit.

$7500.00 ???? WOW!!

Good luck,
John

Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-01-2008 17:40
Tom, OK that looks like it comes to about $520 for material. Where is the other $7000 being spent?
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 05-01-2008 15:47
Most codes say that you the contractor have to develope your own welding procedures and can not buy them from somebody else.  There was a discusion about this awhile back about why you can't buy other companies PQR's and I can't find it now.  I only know of one code that will let a subcontractor use the primary contrators procedures and that's a TACOM cage code.  You can save money by doing you welder certifications in house instead of shipping them off.  I made my own bend test jig to code criteria and it has saved us a ton of money.
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 05-01-2008 17:45
No I am not upstairs, my office is on the production floor. 

AWS D1.1 Section 4.1.1.2 Previous WPS Qualification

"The engineer may accept properly documented evidence of previous qualification of the WPS's that are to be employed".  Blah blah blah.

I do believe this trumps 4.1.1.1

It is my opinion that if the engineer of record uses an outside party to qualify and test the WPS he can do so.

I do all my own testing for the company I am with.  I produce the drawings (and keep them in my database for future use) I conduct the test and observe the welder.  I do all the testing except the tensiles which I have done for about 75.00 each.  Material cost can affect the total cost but I still can't see $7500.00.  I would say someone needs to look at the waste in your system and see what can be eliminated. 

Taking into account everything at my plant our cost, depending on material and other factors, ranges between 400.00 to at most 2000.00 2000.00 involving pre and post heat and all testing in accordance with the applicable code.

Having said that, if you were to go outside for your testing you would only eliminate the actual test cost.  All the cost associated with QC, welder qualification etc. would still be present so you may not save that much.

From a liability standpoint 7500 may be cheap compared to a lawsuit stemming form a failure due to no testing.

One other option may be to purchase the coupons outside or just have a vendor make them.  Thats what I do to save time and not have to worry about routers and all the crap that goes with them
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-01-2008 22:44
Due consideration must be given to the requirements of the applicable welding standard.

Some allow you to utilize prequalified WPS, such is the case if you are working to AWS D1.1 or D1.6 for example, provided all the conditions of prequalification are met.

Other standards allow you to utilize SWPSs sold by the AWS, such is the case with specific SWPSs permitted by ASME Section IX.

The cost of qualifying a WPS is nothing compared to going to court and explaining why you didn't qualify your WPSs to verify they produce acceptable results.

As for the costs you are quoting, $7500 per procedure; some of these gentlemen maybe correct, i.e., you are paying way too much and they may be willing to do it for a lot less money. They recognize their experience is limited and their knowledge is even more limited, so they are willing to sell their services for $10.00/hr. A real bargain to anyone that doesn't fully appreciate what is involved in qualifying a welding procedure.

However, I'm sure your time is worth much more than $10.00/hr and I'm sure the cost of your welder's time and lost production time plus burden is much more than most people realize. The cost of ordering the proper materials with supporting CMTRs, electrode with the proper certifications (especially for military work), preparing the coupons, welding, performing the requisite NDT, cutting, machining samples, and performing the required destructive tests can easily cost more than the numbers you quoted. Now let's consider the actual cost of writing a good WPS.

There are numerous "lessons to be learned" by qualifying welding procedures in-house. Simply purchasing WPSs from AWS or other sources is a lost opportunity for the welders and management to gain an appreciation of how important proper cleaning and technique are in achieving the desired results.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-02-2008 00:23
There are not any AWS or ASME codes that allow one company to purchase a welding procedure qualified by another company and use it.  The SWPS issue being seperate.   AWS D1.1 paragraph 4.1.1.2 is talking about the qualifications of the fabricator done to another code, not from another company, so 4.1.1.2 does not need to "trump" 4.1.1.1 because they are not in conflict.  Also see ASME IX QW-100.1.

With regards to cost, $7500 is not out of reason.  Once you add all the expenses, the minimum usually ends up around $2000-$3000, and can go up to over $10,000 depending on what the particular test is and everything that goes into it. 

A PQR for $500 (take out $150 for two tensile tests at the lab since most people don't have thier own tensile tester) only leaves $350.  So that ends up about 4-7 hours (depending on the shop rate) to:

"buying material, rough cutting plate to coupon sizes, machine shop support to grind bevels or whatever joint we're doing, of course the shop needs a drawing to be prepared; QA gets involved with signing off on certs and what ever dimensional inspections may apply to all of that business; drafting the procedure and all PQR documentation; welders time to weld; engineers time to discuss with welder and monitor; if pwht is involved that takes on another group of costs; prepare scope of work documents for outside lab tests; cost of lab tests; QA review/signoff on all of that; engineers time to formalize PQR into final WPS."

And that isn't going to happen in 4-7 hours.  The list didn't even include tack welding the plates together, grinding off cap for NDT, NDT costs such as UT, RT, PT, MT, Visual, etc.  If you think a tests only cost you $500, I am guessing that you are probably not counting all the costs involved.  If you capture all of them, it may surprise you.    I realize that for basic commercial D1.1 run-of the mill work, with the material already on-hand and minimal oversight for an easy test, a lot of the costs can be eliminated or reduced, and it can probably be done for less than $1000, but not for many PQRs would that happen.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-02-2008 00:26
Oh yeah, and if people without any clue about WPS/PQR requirements keep asking you why you have to keep doing it, tell them that as soon as they show you where it isn't required, you will be happy to stop. (And that is no lie, you probably would be happy to stop!!)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 01:34
GRoberts,
  Very well said and so true. It must be done.

Now on to the other true part of your statement that some of us have been pointing out.

"the minimum usually ends up around $2000-$3000, and can go up to over $10,000 depending on what the particular test is and everything that goes into it."

By your own words the minimum usually ends up around $3000.00. This is less than half of the $7500.00. And of course in extreme cases involving extensive testing requirements could very well exceed the $7500.00.

So I think that you would agree by your own statements that for what has up to this point been described should run in the $3000.00 range, considering all costs involved.

And I would agree with handing them the applicable code, specifications, and customer contract, and ask them thier own question. "Show me where it says you do not have to."

John 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 02:26
If I were only working to D1.1 and B31.3 (Not High Pressure) and impacts were NOT required, I'd go with SWPS.
Parent - - By szevy_suez Date 05-26-2008 14:00
Hi jon20013,
Need some advice on the use of these SWPS purchased from AWS. As part of the submission to the client, do we just submit a copy of the SWPS purchased or do we rewrite and quote the SWPS?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-27-2008 00:31
Do NOT re-write, rather make an "informational" copy. 

I might be fringing on copyright here but believe a copy can be made for review purposes but would stamp it in some way to identify it as a copy for review only.  Be cautious too that I don't think SWPS' are currently offered with impacts although B2 Committee folks inform me that they are no reviewing PQR's with impacts for future consideration.
Parent - By szevy_suez Date 05-27-2008 13:42
No impacts? That means it is still better to write my own WPS & PQR and get the weld piece (according to written PQR) for test? Just a question, if I do not have any welding qualification for eg welding inspector etc, can I write my own WPS & PQR? Any certification required?
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 05-02-2008 11:57
Al & GRoberts-
Thanks for some level of reassurance. I didn't post my question to invite the criticism received, but I certainly tossed & turned all night on some of these responses.  The easy $500 stuff has been done long ago. But for my work, the cost of any moderate chromium or nickel containing material (say 2-3%) is exorbitant and increasing daily;  Add to that outside lab costs for tensiles, bends, X-ray's AND Charpy's for a multiple position procedure and now I'm looking at $1900 Lab bill. Do I want/need hardness traverses? Another $700 bucks or more, depending on how deep I want to go.  So with the $3100 material cost that I cited in another post, I'm already in the hole for $5000 and we haven't started welding yet. Labor cost in the Northeast Metro area is high - very high.  Now if an alloy is such that we have have to worry about heat issues and need to keep to an interpass temperature limit, or if I have to do PT root inspections, it may take an entire day to get through just a couple of 3/4" thick coupons, even though we set them up simultaneously; and I am always going to allow our welder 6-hours to a full day to play and get comfortable before we go into procedural. A lead welder will typically be tied up for 3 or 4 days with one multiple position PQR and an engineer is overseeing maybe 1/2 of that time and more particularly if we are worrying about heat input issues, and we usually are.  

So here I am again justifying my own costs and you know what? I think I may have arrived at the answer I was looking for. Thanks all.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-02-2008 14:09
it seams that my price quoted is just as questioned as the OP's price. I have my system set up so that i only need to send out for tensil test, RT, and/or PWHT as applicable. Also, it was stated that this was a typical price. I perform almost all work myself. I prep coupons, set-up weld area, dress coupon as needed, perform UT of weld, perform bends, send out for RT/ tensile as needed, fill out paperwork. I am not ignorant of the costs.
3-4 days for a multiple position PQR- i would expect at least half that. I am not trying to criticize you tom. It's just hard for me to see that much overhead.
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 05-02-2008 16:45
just curious--why did you need 12 pcs of chrome moly  for a procedure qualification?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 23:28 Edited 05-03-2008 14:56
Hello Hogan;

I guess you work for free. Not many of us are willing to work for no pay considering there is no one willing to pay my mortgage, medical insurance, buy my food, save for retirement, etc.

If I remember correctly, you said you are working with a welding supplier and do CWI work on the side. There's a major difference in doing it as a part time job and doing it as a means of earning a living.

I would place you in the same category as welding instructors that do CWI work as a side line business using the equipment, materials, etc. provided by their employer, usually the state or school district. Don't misconstrue what I'm saying, there's nothing wrong with doing what you are doing, but it doesn't reflect the true cost of doing business.

I noticed you didn't say anything about witnessing the actual welding of the coupon. How could you if you only charge $500 unless you work for free. God bless you if you are working for free, because I have a couple of jobs to send you on. I assume you are willing to cover your own airfare and you'll rent the car on your own nickel.

If you do not witness the actual welding of the test coupon How do you know what the test conditions were if you were not there? Are you "pencil whipping" the information such as test position, voltage, amperage, travel speed, the welder's name, etc.? Surely you don't believe the client is actually watching and recording that information. If they were, they wouldn't need you to complete the paperwork. So, are you "certifying" the information is correct when you sign the welding documents?

There have been several posts relating to CWIs that basically say, "Send me your test plates and I'll do the rest." In my humble opinion it is easy to slide down the slippery slope and enter the realm of fraudulent behavior if the CWI is attesting to information that they have no way of knowing is true.

I had to come back to this post and edit it or at least add to it. I don't fault anyone for starting their career as a part time CWI, but please don't sell yourselves cheap. You have the training and the credentials that set you above the rest. This reply is not intended to demean anyone only to admonish you to make sure you maintain a high ethical standard, don't sign for work you didn't witness, i.e., if you performed only the bend tests, then that is what you should limit your attestation to, and don't sell yourself or your services cheap, because people value you by what you charge. If you give your services away, your customers will not value your abilities or the services you offer. Think about it, when you go to a store to buy a quality tool, do you look for the cheapest price or do you pay the higher price to purchase the tool with a higher perceived value? Most of us adhere to the adage, "You get what you pay for." That also serves as a good basis for determining what you charge your customers for your services. As a CWI you are a professional. You are not selling labor by the hour. You are offering a service, but much more than that, you are offering them your intellect.

I haven't charged "by the hour" for many years. I charge by the day or by the half day if I'm working in my office doing research or writing reports. Most of my services have a set fee based on the approximate time it takes me to perform the work. For instance, when you test a welder, do you consider the time it takes to order the material, prepare the materials, drive to your customer's facility? The set up time? The time it takes the welder to actually weld the test coupon? The time it takes to cut the sample, prepare it and bend it or radiograph it? And never underestimate the time required to properly complete the test report. It is beyond me how some people say they can do it for $150.00 per plate unless they place no value on their time, training, or capital investment in equipment. 

I always ask the welder how much he charges his clients for a days work when he squawks about my prices. I ask them why should I charge them any less than they earn in a day? After all, most welders will spend most of the day preparing and welding two one inch plates for a standard all position welder qualification. Then I have to cut and bend the samples and complete the paperwork. All totalled, most welder qualifications will eat nearly a day and a half of my time. My time is worth a hell of a lot more than $150.00 or even $300.00 for the day and a half their test takes.

I will not complete and sign any paperwork that I haven't actually witnessed. To sign a welder qualification test record and attest to the information listed is nothing short of fraud if you didn't witness the welding being performed. I will provide a bend test report if I only perform the bend tests provided by a client, but I will not complete the welder performance test report and provide a "certifying signature" because I have no way of knowing who welded the coupon, what position it was welded in, or that they followed a WPS. Human nature, business, and the word honesty are hardly ever found together in the world of business. Even the Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that business does not have to be honest or forthcoming in their statements or advertising. So, why should I put my name and reputation on the line by signing a test report that I have no way of knowing is true?

Sorry for the rant fellas. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-05-2008 14:10
The only time I know of when one company can use another companies WPS's is when 'effective operational control' can be demonstrated between companies belonging to the same overarching corporation. This operational control must be addressed in their respecitve QC Systems.
QW-201
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-05-2008 16:45
hello Al, What a tangent. What comes to mind is arrogant ignorance. It's a bit upsetting, My fist experience with this form was was reading one of your posts. I was very in pressed with your knowledge and ability to communicate. however on this topic you are ill informed. I do not feel i need to justify myself to anyone. But because i respect you i will. In the past i have worked as a contract inspector Performing work as a CWI, API, and NDT inspector/technician. life was good and life was hell. As I am sure you can relate. Living on the road and all that comes with it. Now I am happily divorced, and my x has all that i had worked so hard for. I came to a point in my life that i needed to slow down and enjoy life. Enough of the turn around/shutdown crap. Working 45 16's. For what, my few pieces of silver. Now for the first time in my life I am happy. I am the QC manager of a fab shop. I work 40 hours a week, and for the first time in 22 years i punch a clock. I have a life, set hours. A son i see more, even though he is not living with me. I am extremely over qualified for my job. I have one of the most diversified resumes that i know of, you it seems even more so. My job allows me significant free time. That time is not wasted. I know how to perform all aspects pertaining to WPS/PRQ qualification. In a way that is ethical. I do not pencil whip ****. I have actually shut down production for a few weeks when we had a horrific wire feed issue. How ethical is that. Costing my employer several hundreds of thousands of dollars. You may be after the all mighty dollar, i am no longer. Hope to see you here one day.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-06-2008 03:01 Edited 05-06-2008 03:04
Dear Hogan;

I've been justifiably chastised. My apologies for making the assumption you were a relative newcomer to the the functions of a CWI.

My intent was not to demean what you are doing. Simply that a new CWI shouldn't sell himself short. I attempted to point out a few practices several new CWIs (I have known over the years) had "fallen into". It is all too easy to cross the line by doing "favors" for friends or fall into practices many fellow CWIs consider to be unethical or undesirable. Doing so has cut several promising career short, and I hate to see that happen to any fellow CWIs.

I'll give you a "for instance": One CWI I know as a personal friend gave one of his clients a blank welder performance test report with his signature and CWI stamp already placed at the bottom of the form as the "certifying agency". Needless to say that trusted client "certified" every person in the shop. It was a hard lesson to learn. He gave up his stamp because no testing lab or engineer in the region would accept anything with his name attached. 

Another CWI didn't witness the welding of a PQR. Yet he completed the PQR and added the welding parameters to the documentation. I noted that there was no test witness listed. The CWI said that the welder that welded the coupon recorded the data and he simply transcrbed it to the PQR. You and I both know that it is highly unlikely that a welder can track his travel speed, arc voltage, and welding amperage while depositing weld metal with a manual process. The welder's reply when I asked him if he recorded the information was, "Are you crazy? Anyone that knows anything about welding knows I couldn't weld and watch the meters on the machine at the same time!" Case made, the PQR wasn't valid and the CWIs reputation with his employer wasn't worth the paper his signature was afixed to.

Regarding some of the comment about the price charged for services; it not good form to say they are charging too much or someone is paying too much for the services unless the extent of the services are known. As for "chasing the money", I wouldn't put myself in that category. I believe I charge a fair price for the services and expertise I offer. Do I charge more than than other CWIs in the area? I probably do, but my clients willing pay the price in consideration of the services I perform.

Please accept my apologies if I offended you. Again it wasn't my intent. I could have been more tactful.

Best regards - Al 
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-06-2008 16:53
803056, thanks for the post. i was a little surprised by previous one. As you have stated an inspectors reputation is what keeps them employed. screw that up and you'll probably need to move or change occupations. That is why i got a bit defensive in regards to your insinuations. Also, i wanted to thank you for all your efforts on this forum. It's nice to see people sharing there knowledge.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Why, Oh Why Must We Qualify ANOTHER WPS!!!!!