Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GMAW vs. FCAW on Hot Dip Galvanized - Automotive
- - By jlake1 Date 05-02-2008 19:19
I had to specify a process for manually welding a strap to a fuel tank shield for an automotive application.  Material is Hot Dip Galvanized.  Since I can't remove the coating per customer requirements, I specified FCAW to minimize the latent cracking potential.  Now I've got the plant guys have made a couple with GMAW and want to use that process, as they are unfamilier with FCAW.  Their question is what specification drives FCAW for galvanized steels.  I can't find a standard that lists it, and don't have D19.0.  I know my direction was right, but how can I prove it?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 19:27
jlake1,
Let me just say that if you do a search in this forum for welding galvanized material, you will find an ABUNDANCE of information, and opinions.

John
Parent - By jlake1 Date 05-03-2008 18:21
I appreciate that, and I have.  I have found an abundance of information, and opinions.  I agree with all of them, but I am looking for a specification, or techinical paper, that either specifies me to run a self shielded process on unprepared hot dip galvanized material or no.  I know my process is right, but I'm having a hard time proving it.

Thanks,
Jay
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GMAW vs. FCAW on Hot Dip Galvanized - Automotive