Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS QUALIFICATION IN THE 2G POSITION
- - By Doc Date 06-20-2001 21:27
I have to qualify an already qualified WPS (qualified in the 1G position) in the 2G position for some out of position welding we will be doing. The joint is a double vee butt joint and the process is SMAW. In accordance with AWS D1.1, D14.6, etc. do I have to keep the test coupon exactly "straight up" or perpendicular to the floor when welding? It would help if I could lean the coupon back maybe 15 degrees to help catch and hold the filler metal. I am not sure if I am allowed to do this. Any thoughts or help ? Thanks
Parent - By R. Johnson (**) Date 06-21-2001 13:19
If you will look in D1.1 at figure 4.1 - positioins of groove welds you will see that the rotation of the face of the weld can be between 80 and 150 degrees and still be considered horizontal. I see no problem with the 15 degrees you proprose. I would rethink the groove design, I would use a double bevel instead of a double vee. Hope this helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS QUALIFICATION IN THE 2G POSITION