Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where To Start
- - By Mr.Sparks (*) Date 05-04-2008 01:28
Hello all,
I will be finishing up with welding school here in a couple of weeks
and I would like to pursue work as a pipe welder
shutdown work or traveling doesn't bother me at all
my ? is what is the best way to break out alot of employers are looking for 3-5 years on the job welding  experience.
or should I try working at a local shop to gain some on the job experience
thanks for any advise
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 05-04-2008 13:10
Hey Mr Sparks,
As a very seasoned weldor I can only give you some "food for thought". Your welding education is in its' infancy and the training will allow you to get the basics of the welding arena. The gamut of welding stages/progression are staggering and your initial step into the workforce would probably be best in a repair/fab shop. This would allow you to "get your feet wet", so to speak. Learning the proper repair methods for the multitude of metals & configurations, the welding parameters to make sound welds with different applications, ie., stick, MIG, TIG, and O/A, will enhance your abilities for most any kind of work. The fabrication of new projects will give you the ability to learn the dimensional factors involved in the construction/structural arena or the pipe/rig world that will be seeking the weldors needed with the advancing decline of those, like myself, who near retirement. Your ability & desire to learn every facet of welding will only benefit you if your particular job has a shutdown or layoff and you need to find work for your daily living & needs. Be smart.... learn every day.... just one new thing.... you will succeed and profit from your own hunger. Do not get discouraged and be sure that you work with the primary thought of SAFETY with your body. You only get one body.... take care of it and never do anything to jeopardize any part of it. There are many superb gents here who will chime in with suggestions for you to ponder. Evaluate each to determine the presentation that will benefit you for your future. Good Luck.... keep us informed on your decisions & satisfactions with your choice......    Denny
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where To Start