Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS qualification in the 2G position
- - By Doc Date 06-20-2001 21:31
I have to qualify an already qualified WPS (qualified in the 1G position) in the 2G position for some out of position welding we will be doing. The joint is a double vee butt joint and the process is SMAW. In accordance with AWS D1.1, D14.6, etc. do I have to keep the test coupon exactly "straight up" or perpendicular to the floor when welding? It would help if I could lean the coupon back maybe 15 degrees to help catch and hold the filler metal. I am not sure if I am allowed to do this. Any thoughts or help ? Thanks
Parent - By Iron Man (*) Date 06-22-2001 15:03
Doc, I think you are alowed to tilt No More than 15 degrees but check with the CWI doing the verification of your exam. He/She will be able to tell you. Good luck on the exam!!! David
Parent - By Jorge Giraldo (**) Date 06-23-2001 16:17
Hello Doc:
In the 4.2.4 numeral of the AWS D1.1-96 Code you are refered to the Figures 4.1 and 4.2 in order to determine wich your production position is, and for other side, it refere another figures (4.3, 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6) for test assemblies both for WPS and personnel qualification. As you said in your post, in that figures you can find, for the 2G position, the notes: Plates Vertical and Axis of weld horizontal. Then, I think that you may to pay attention to these requeriments.
However, if you need a better control of your puddle and you have a partial or complet joint penetration (PJP or CJP) cumplying with the requirements of 3.12 or 3.13, you can qualify your WPS using a CJP wich helps you in your interest, I mean, you can use, for example, a double bevel groove weld (instead a double vee g.w.) wich has an AWS designation B-U5a for SMAW (see Figure 3.4) and you are still cumplying the Code. In that kind of groove, only the top element has a bevel and the square edge of the lower element helps to mantain your puddle in horizontal position. Take a look too, to the figure 4.29 for a similar application in welder qualification.
I hope this help you.

Jorge Giraldo
MedellĂ­n, Colombia
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS qualification in the 2G position