Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / gas leaking on 68 sa200
- - By okwelder82 (***) Date 05-05-2008 02:38
I just bought the welder a week ago and just filled it up with gas for the first time today and shortly after I got home I smelled gas. It was leaking out of the air filter at the bottom, a pretty steady stream. Do any of you guys know what would cause this? Could it be a bad carb? Thank you for any help.
Parent - - By norsky63 (**) Date 05-05-2008 03:32
tap the carb a little with a hammer   the float is stuck
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 05-06-2008 21:39
also to expand---tap the "belly" of the carb, the part just abve the mag. I use the wooden butt of a hammer.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-05-2008 04:30 Edited 05-05-2008 05:18
Hello okwelder82, just to expand a bit on norsky63's reply. It is likely that the needle/seat that is operated by the float has some junk keeping it from sealing properly or the float could very well be stuck as norsky63 said. It might be best to remove the carburetor and carefully dissassemble it, clean it, and reassemble it. Only attempt this if you are comfortable with doing so, otherwise find a competent technician to do it for you. After you have done this make sure to install a good quality fuel filter between the fuel tank and carburetor, or if it already has one, install a new one. Just a bit more to consider. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-05-2008 05:04
I personally didn't feel comfortable rebuilding my carb so I sent it to Kaye at billswelderrepair.com and I have to say it looks like it is brand new. I'm dieing to get my waterpump back from her I'm sure it is gonna look and perform just as well. but yeah like aevald said find a good mechanic in your area to rebuild it for ya. I didn't trust some mechanics in my area so I sent it to Kaye. The rebuild kit is cheap like I think 26 dollars maybe cheaper. I think thats pretty cheap to a carb that is like new again.

Chris
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 05-05-2008 09:35
probably a marvel carb. napa rebuild kit # K7505  and it is easier than making toast to rebuild that carb. just make sure you soak the parts for at least a day in carb cleaner, and keep shaking the container that you are cleaning the parts in.
darren
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 05-07-2008 01:59
buy a small bucket of chemtool. Put the carb in it overnight.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / gas leaking on 68 sa200