Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / defects in SMAW
- - By ranayogesh Date 05-05-2008 06:25
what are causes for the welding defects like porosity and slag inclusion in SMA welding process?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-05-2008 07:02
Hello ranayogesh, your question is very broad, can you narrow it down a bit more? There are numerous types of SMAW electrodes and when they exhibit porosity and slag inclusions the type can have a considerable effect on the reason for having the defects. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By ranayogesh Date 05-05-2008 07:03 Edited 05-05-2008 07:22
for the e 7018 SMAW of 5 mm diameter electrode and ER 70 S2 of 2 mm diameter for tig..
Parent - - By ranayogesh Date 05-05-2008 07:16
thanks for ur reply, sir

we using 400 amp capacity rectifier. arc current is around 260 amp welding speed 100 mm/min. for SMAW for the root weldiing we are using tig type of the joint is butt single 'V' joint geometry.. thickness of the material 16 and 18 mm. type of material is SA 516 and SA 181for glass lined reactors
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-05-2008 13:56
Hello again ranayogesh, if you are seeing porosity in the root welds using the GTAW process this is likely due to insufficient preparation of the joint or if this is used pipe it could also include contamination from the contents of the pipe. Be sure to use new uncontaminated grinding wheels and flap-wheels on the bevel preparations and also be sure to flap the I.D.'s of the pipe joints at least a minimum of 1/4" back from the bevel edges. If you are using mechanical beveling units with any sort of machining fluids you will need to be sure to use a non-residual cleaner after making the bevels so as not to leave any contaminants. GTAW requires clean, clean, clean.
     As to porosity or slag entrapment with the E7018, generally slag entrapment is due to incorrect welding parameters(running too low on the amperage possibly), or incorrect rod manipulation by the operator(possibly incorrect rod angles, running the bead downhill and allowing slag to run ahead of the puddle and then become entrapped, keeping too short of an arc length which will sometimes prevents the puddle from forming a nice round or oval deposit as welding progresses). Porosity with E7018 can come from using wet or improperly stored electrodes(not keeping them in a holding oven), not paying attention to the ends or length of the flux coating on the electrodes(if the flux has been chipped away from the starting end of the electrode or portions of it are missing along the length these flux voids will possibly cause porosity). Keeping too long of an arc can introduce porosity in some cases. Making restarts with used electrodes and knocking too much flux back from the end of the electrode can lead to porosity at the point of the restart or tie-in. These are a few things that come to mind, I'm sure there are others that can apply and hopefully the others on the forum will chime in to include them for you. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By er.yogesh Date 05-05-2008 15:41
thank u sir now i want to know what r the other parameter affects the defects i will give you all regarding details of my welding process
          first we r using  SMAW & GTAW for the joining of the SA 516 & SA 181( forged) mtrl @ 3 G position on the positiors it is a rounded shaped of the piece but not to say it is pipe joints. we r using E 7018 for the SMAW( backed ) & ER 70 S 2for the GTAW.the thick ness of mtrl is 20mm( plate)& 18 mm (forged)sa181 typeof joint is butt single "V" joint geometry. so can you suggest which type WPS are prepared by us.this is my first time project i hope u all well known engrs are help me
thaks  if any other details are requred plz plz send the mgs to me
waitting to your reply
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-07-2008 01:28
porosity can be issues with the rod, parent metal, environmental conditions, and more.
Slag issues are between the shoulder and the holder!
BABRT's
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / defects in SMAW