Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6 Stainless Question
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-05-2008 14:46
D1.6 Table 4.3

I'm looking at Performance Qualification --Thickness Limits and Test Specimines

It appears that 1/16th inch is the minimum thickness that a welder can be qualified to per this code.

The reason I ask is that we had a whole bunch of 0.050 material donated and I thought it would be nice material for student performance qual testing... So I was going to whip up a prequalified WPS and corrisponding welder performance qualification test report... But seem to be stuck below the thickness minimum for the code.

Am I reading this correctly?

If anything below 1/16th in. is non compliant does anybody have any suggestions about a way to get where I'm headed with a prequalified status????
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 05-05-2008 17:41
The AWS D1.9 Sheet metal code would work in your thickness range
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-05-2008 18:58
Thanks for the quick response Bill

I looked at D1.9 2000 and it tells me that Procedures may be Qualified to B2.1  which of course requires at least tensiles and defeats my silly desire to get this done in house with prequalified WPS's.

The text seems pretty clear.... But when I turned to Annex E of D1.9 it shows a PQR test record sample that seems to include only visual inspection.  Now I realize that the Annex is for information purposes only.. But it seems strange that there is no mention of bends, tensiles or RT.

Then I went back over D1.9 section 3 more slowly and noted 3.4......"Inspection of all test welds shall be visual, without aid of magnification."

I see the same thing for Welder Performance Qualification Test Records in Annex F of D1.9......... No destructive testing at all  ???    This seems to be in line with 4.4  But I never really noticed that Visual only was required for performance qualification.

This just blows me away...
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6 Stainless Question