Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipe welding competition??
- - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 05-05-2008 17:50
hey guys I was searching somethings on here and I came across an old thread by pipeslayer back on 3/01/07 about a pipe welding competition I just wonderd whatever became of that, I thought that was a great Idea I would have like to have seen something like that just for the learning experiance alone. P.S. if they didnt have the competition I wish someday somebody would.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-05-2008 19:12
I know the U.A. started there pipefitting competitions again.  Winner gets some real nice stuff.  It's only for apprentices though.:-(
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 05-05-2008 22:07
i heard there was something like that at the aws show in dallas a few years ago
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 05-06-2008 12:04
That was the U.S. Open Weld Trials where we pick the guy who is to represent the United States in the Internation World Skills Competition.  6 competitors are chosen over a 2 year period from the National welding competition held in Kansas City every summer.  The selection process is slightly different now, but that is the jist of it.  The U.S. Open Weld Trials will be held in Vegas at the A.W.S show this year to start the selection process for our representative for the WSC in 09.  To compete you can't be older then 23 the day of the international competition.  U.S. rep recieves a $40,000 dollar scholarship anywhere they want to go from A.W.S and Miller Electric.  To compete at the National Welding Competition there is no age restriction and they have very nice prizes as well. 
Parent - By ross (***) Date 05-06-2008 13:43
Every other year AWS has a professional welder competition at the show. Nowadays, it happens to be the years we are always in Chicago. Any professional welder can enter. On even-numbered years, the show is typically in Atlanta or Vegas, and we have the SkillsUSA contest there.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 06-26-2008 20:56
I to thought it was a cool idea. The powers that be (my previous employer) or not interested in starting a fad. Our profession really needs a shot in the arm. Reality TV and not bike building,but real pipe welders in the field.My 2 cents.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-26-2008 22:41 Edited 06-26-2008 22:58
AMEN TO THAT!! I HATE crap reality TV & all those "cookie cutter" bike building shows. Just a bunch of regular junk iron joes that can afford to put a $10,000 paint job & rims on a motorcycle. SOOOOOOOOOO overplayed. Makes me puke every time I see another "fabricational miracle" rolling down the road.

I'm not a pipe guy, but have done it & know the REAL skill involved. Especially at the real world Code/X ray level. Lets see Paul Jr. or Jesse James do a 6G ASME uphill on 12" sch 80 with a GTAW root & 7018 fill & cap. YEAH RIGHT!!!

"Abandon Ship!!!!!!" (April 15, 1912, Metal Church, Blessing In Disguise LP)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipe welding competition??