Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of austenitic high silicon SS
- - By exergy21 Date 06-26-2001 00:29
Our company now is taking a project which needs welding of special material Din 1.4361 (UNS S30600). And this material will be used for nitric acid of 99%.
According to ASME code section IX, P-number is 8 and Group number is 1.

The welding specification of this material requires us PWHT (post weld heat treatment, solutionizing followed by water quenching) or intense water-cooling while welding. We, however, do not know specific method for this PWHT or intense water-cooling while welding.
So, would anyone please give us some advice for specific method of PWHT or intense water-cooling while welding, e.g., solutionizing temperature and maintaining time, quenching temperature and speed, or water temperature and water flux of cooling-water used at water-cooling while welding, and so on.

The welding specification said “specific precautions shall be taken with any heat input so as to guarantee the best possible corrosion resistance”, and gap energy is restricted to 4~6 kJ.
As you know heat input during welding is specified by welding process, filler material (class and size), electrical characteristics ( polarity, amps and volts) and travel speed. The problem is we do not have yet specific information regarding them.
So would anyone please give us some information of these specifics, if have.

Thank you for reading.
Parent - By G Roberts Date 06-27-2001 15:29
Parent - By G Roberts Date 06-27-2001 15:37
It looks like you have a interesting alloy there. I have never dealt with this one specifically, but I hope this helps. UNS S30600 looks like it corresponds with ASTM/ASME A/SA182 F46. (18 Cr, 15Ni, 4Si). I have never heard of "intense water cooling when welding" before. Possibly you could tell us what they mean by that a little more. As far as solution annealing though, when it was manufactured, per A/SA182, F46 material is solution annealed at 2010F to 2140F and liquid quenched to below 500F. Since this alloy wouldn't be forming martensite, it doesn't need a temper following a liquid quench. I'm sure you would want to perform the same heat treatment after welding. Unless you are planning on heat treating yourself, a reputable heat treater should know how long to hold at temperature based on the thickness of the piece being heat treated, and the performance of his ovens, etc. I don't think you could do a localized heat treatment because even though it would improve the corrosion resistance and mechinical properties of the weld, other areas would be adversely affected that happened to fall into the temperature zones that the post weld heat treat was trying to fix.
I am a bit perplexed about the heat input though. Per ASME, if a weldment is solution annealed after welding, heat input (and interpass temperature) are not essential variables, even for base material with impact requirements. This is because, no matter what detrimental microstructures or precipitates are formed during welding, they all dissolve and the microstructure is reformed at the solutioning temperature. Since this is the case, what does it matter if you have high heat input and form lots of bad things in your weld/HAZ, or low heat input and form just a few bad things in your weld/HAZ since they will all dissapear with PWHT anyway?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of austenitic high silicon SS