Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / stingers
- - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 05-07-2008 17:17
just wondering what kind of stingers you guys use the srew/stubby kind or the clamp jaws kind and which one is better for pipe work or doesnt it even matter.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-07-2008 17:42
When I was a welder, it was easier to change electrodes with the clamp style.  But, if the electrode ever got stuck, the screw type was better for breaking it loose.  I suppose good welders don't have to worry about the electrode getting stuck, but it happened on occasion when I was learning.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-07-2008 21:15
Try a Duro holder. Once I used one I never use anything else. Been using them about 12 years now
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-07-2008 18:20
Hello cyrus 07, "my experiences" have shown that most pipe welders use a clamp type holder, many will use the really small slim styles as they allow for ready access in tighter spots. A lot of the shipyard hands use the stubbies due to the large amount of vertical beading and having a comfortable ready angle for the electrode in that case, they're also kind of nice because you can grip the electrode and bend it to the angle that you like. I also agree that a good stubby will grip the electrode better and allow it to be broken free fairly easily, on the same token, if it gets really stuck it's much more difficult to free the electrode from the holder. It really boils down to a personal preference and what you're used to or come to prefer. My $.02  Best regards, aevald
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-07-2008 20:59
Pounds per hour! With a spring loaded stinger, I can toss a stub and fire-up back in the puddle before it looses it's color or the slag solidifies. With the screw down style, if you stick a rod (Zoro will leave his arc strike on you work), your STUCK!! A properly maintained (yes, these are tools you make your living with and deserve a bit of TLC!) spring clamp stinger will have just as good of electrical contact and yes you can bend the rod any way you want with one. They also have fewer moving parts to fail and are lighter in weight/per comparable amp rating. More spring clamps are manufactured/sold than screw types. However, if you happen to run out of treble weights while Tuna fishing, keep a couple of screw down stingers in the tackle box......
That's all the reasons I can come up with for now!
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 05-07-2008 20:36
show up pipelining with a screw and they might laugh at you , but seriously you will be much faster if you are mainlining with a clamp
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 05-07-2008 23:58
lincoln stinger only
Parent - By mechan (**) Date 05-08-2008 03:35
tweco or die, hehe.
Parent - By mooseye (**) Date 05-09-2008 04:11
I would add that the spring clamp type offer several rod positions which I have found to be very helpful. The screw clamp type are somewhat finicky if you don't get the rod in squarly, it can just fall out. I own one and am using it now but just because it was free and I haven't felt like changing it to the spring clamp one I found in the barn last week.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / stingers