Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / socket welds
- - By LongArc (**) Date 05-08-2008 03:27
I heard that you shouldn't butt up the socket weld tight, you must leave a small gap, the play will allow it to flex under pressure. If the joint in butted tightly together I heard it the weld will crack underpressure. Is this true, if so what are some other things to look for.
Parent - By mechan (**) Date 05-08-2008 03:32
You don't usually butt the weld up tight so that you are able to fit it correctly, much like anything else.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-08-2008 05:34
Is this actually a weld restreignt issue?
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-08-2008 11:43
LongArc,
this mainly holds true for steam systems. If you butt the socket up tight then during expantion and contraction the socket fitting could break or the weld crack. I have personally only seen it happen a few times and the reason usally is the socket and pipe were butted up. In process piping on petro chem jobs I never saw it and I spent about 10 years in that industry. I have spent 6 year in the power industry and what I'm seeing now are clients requiring radiography on a % of socket welds to veryify gap. The main thing as a QC person is to set up some kind of verification process, like a Gap-O-Let or a hold point on fit-up of a percentage of socket welds, maybe some training with fitters on socket weld fit-up.
Hope that helps
Jim
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-08-2008 12:31
Isn't the gap required to prevent contraction cracking when the weld cools, rather than minimize in-service  cracking due to flexing?
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-08-2008 13:53
The gap is for in service expansion, contraction or flex.  1/8" is usually the rule of thumb to gap your socket welds.  I had Hydrogen line socket welds x-rayed to make sure we had the gap in them at a refinery.  I'm not sure what the minimum gap is that they will allow.  It might be different depending on the type of line.
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 05-08-2008 15:18
1/8" was what we always pulled on the socket aswell for steam systems, however even on glycol lines and such when there were socket welds they still got the same 1/8" gap.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-08-2008 17:34
Ah the great gap debate. Gap is so the the stab in doesn't expand, bottom out on the shoulder and crack the weld during the weld-out of the fitting. (if you think about it, thermal expansion in service would, with the extra mass of the fitting allow it to expand more than the less massive pipe, but during weld-out, the less massive pipe will get hotter and expand more and faster than the fitting) That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Also, as a secondary issue, you don't want excessive gap because of internal turbulance and premature erosion ( I have seen this on saturated steam). As a journeyman craftsman,taking pride in their work without a proceedure, they should have 1/8" gap +1/16" -0", cut square, reamed and de-burred for smooth, unrestricted flow. On a "real" job, the constrution specs will detail the fit-up. Many times, when socket welds are first being assembled and installed, the client will call in the "All-Seeing, Evil Eyed, Un-employment Truck". Take a few pictures, run-off a fitter or two, spank a foreman, the rest get hint and no more bottomed-out stabs on s/w.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-08-2008 18:21
That's the point I was trying to make.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-08-2008 19:07
Why do they reject socket welds that where x-rayed and have no cracks, but also have a gap.  I understand the gap might be less then an 1/8", but it still has a gap and didn't crack.  Ahhh the great debate continues, so boys and girls, make sure you gap your socket welds just because your weld might crack if ya don't.;-) That about somes it up in a nutt shell.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-08-2008 19:29 Edited 05-08-2008 19:35
QC GODS (whether backed by code or not) must thunder down from their lofty self appointed pedestals to the sheepish mortals less they wander astray and worship false Idols!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-08-2008 20:53 Edited 05-09-2008 01:42
Gentlemen;

The reason for the space between the end of the pipe and the shoulder of the socket is to permit the pipe within the socket to expand while it is being welded and to allow the fillet weld to contract as it cools without inducing a tensile load on the root of the weld.

The problem is more acute in some materials than others. Austenitic stainless steels would most likely survive such an event because it has good ductility over a wide range of temperatures. However, that isn't the case with carbon steels (SA53) or carbon manganese steels (SA106).

As is the case with welding, you may not experience root cracking in 90 welded joints, but the next 10 that do crack will offset any profits you had hoped to make. The other concern is that the root crack may not propagate to the weld face until several thermal cycles or until "water hammer" or a shock load event occurs. The results of such an incident is unpredictable and easily avoidable if the gap is maintained at the time of fitup.

The attached sketch is one that I use when training welders new to welding pipe and ASME or military requirements. The minimum space between the end of the pipe and the socket shoulder is the same for all ASME piping codes and NAVSEA TP278. While a single pass fillet weld is acceptable to ASME, it is not acceptable for work meeting NAVSEA TP278. The multilayer weld is required for military work and it has recently been shown to improve the fatigue life of a system subject to cyclic loads.

The minimum leg dimension of the fillet weld is dependent on the piping code used. In the case of B31.3, the minimum size is 1.4 times the thickness of the pipe wall, but not less than 1/8 inch.

Getting back to the need for the gap, consider that the pipe is expanding while it is being welded, but as soon as the fillet weld is initiated, it fixes the pipe so that is can not move freely. If the pipe is up tight against the shoulder when the fillet weld is initially started, it wants to expand (in length as well as diameter), but the fillet weld prevents the pipe from lengthening (within the  socket) as the pipe is heated. Due to the fixity offered by the fillet weld, the pipe (within the socket) pushes up against the socket shoulder, the hotter it gets, the more it tries to expand thus exerts a greater the force against the socket shoulder. When the delta T, i.e., change in temperature, reaches about 212 - 230 degrees F, the magnitude of the force is equal to the yield strength of the pipe. That essentially is the most force it can exert because any increase in loading will result in plastic deformation of the pipe end. The same force is exerted against the fillet weld that is not yet completed, thus there is an opportunity to initiate a root crack, and again, don't forget that the weld can undergo a brittle transition phase until it cools sufficiently to regain some ductility. Once the weld is completed and the pipe begins to cool, everything begins to contract, including the length of the weld leg. The contraction of the fillet weld tends to pull the pipe further into the pipe, but it is already up tight against the shoulder, thus either the weld will yield if there is sufficient ductility or the forces initiate a root crack if the force is greater than the tensile strength of the fillet weld as it passes through the brittle stage during cooling. One might jump to the conclusion that the pipe within the socket is going to contract away from the socket shoulder as it cools. It might do just that if it were not for the fact the delta T of the pipe between the ambient temperature and its peak temperature is less than the delta T of the weld metal, i.e., the peak temperature being the liquid temperature of the weld, and ambient temperature.

The derivation of the temperature change required to reach the yield point of the material was discussed a couple of months ago in another post so there's no reason to bore everyone with it once again.

Just to add a little something, I have attached a photomacrograph of a case where the failure to observe code requirements to maintain at least a 1/16 space between the socket shoulder and end of the pipe resulted in a root crack. Note that it doesn't extend to the face of the weld. Thus, it was not detected when penetrant testing was performed in the "shop". This is just one example of a number of such cracks on this particular project. Several fillet welds in this particular "lot" were clearly cracked by the time they reached the site. The remainder of the welded joints showed evidence (as shown in this photo) the cracks had already initiated when the welds were sectioned.

As for terminology; it would so very nice if the proper terminology was used so that all us poor slovenly under educated inspectors without years of field experience would not have to wade through the flotsam  to decipher the replies we read. I always thought a "stab-in" was a branch fabricated without the use of a fitting. See, I hear something new everyday.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-08-2008 23:20
Al,
  Well said, and it sounds as if this is not something that you made up, but rather something that has been proven to be benificial to the quality of a joint.

John
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-09-2008 02:51
    With regard to those who have questioned the 1/8" or 1/16" I offer this: Carbon steel expands 6.5 microinches per inch per degree F. You will not need all of that 1/16 or 1/8, but be practical. If an engineer said to pull back .008" how in the heck will You measure and hold that dimension? You are working with a tape measure, and 1/16" or 1/8" is something You can do.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-08-2008 23:12 Edited 05-08-2008 23:17
Superflux,
  Whoa there big boy, let me fill you in on something.

If it is not backed up by a code and procedure you can do whatever you want. Otherwise, QA/QC must "thunder down" if you do not follow code and procedure.

This is NOT a "self appointed pedestal" but rather a requirement set out by contractual agreement between a customer and provider. We as QA/QC do not establish the requirements, we just inforce them. We are the middle men in this battle of the "minds" so to speak. The EOR's set the standards with procedures and code adherment, production does not always want to follow, and the customer knows this. This is why there is a need for QA/QC. THAT is why we "thunder down" as you say. WE DO NOT MAKE THE RULES!! We just enforce them.

So I say to you sir, "self appointed" MY A**!!!

John

EDIT: BTW try to "self appoint" yourself as a CWI, good luck!! I see by your profile that you list CWI, did you appoint yourself? And do you inforce requirements that are not neccessary?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-09-2008 01:20
jrw,
That's why I refered to them as "QC GODS". Us CWI's do have to follow the codes and specs or could face ethics violation review from the AWS.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-09-2008 01:34
Superflux,
  I must have misinterpreted your response. I was confused as to what entity you were making reference to.

I can only hope that you understand my response, when applied to the misinterpretation of your post.

In short "We just do what we are told, and make sure they do to. It is not up to us."

John
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-11-2008 13:10
Superflux,
it isn't just codes, it could be SOP's or client directed specs or site specific procedures.  Since ( and I'm only assuming) you don't work for AWS how is it your going to face ethics violations by AWS? When I hire an inspector he/she is part of the QC (GODS) team, they might have a CWI, or ASNT-TC-1A Level II, or API 570 or something else but they are still welding inspectors. None of them work for what ever organization is on their cert. I would be more concerned about facing who I work for if I'm doing somthing unethical than who is on my cert.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-11-2008 18:19
Jim Huges,
AWS QC1:2007 ...Chapter 11, page 5...... Code of Ethics, Rules of Conduct and Practice  .....preamble......"any unauthorised practice is subject to the committe's review and may result in suspension, repremand, or revocation of certification"..... 11.1 Intergrity....."...CWI.....shall act with complete integrity in professional matters....."
When it comes to watching that little blue light for who ever wants to pay me,I can always screw on a hood, spray sparks and swing a hammer for a few $$$'s, but, I'd hate to loose my CWI. I know the AWS doesn't sign my paycheck, however, that little stamp allows me to earn a better living in a far more comfortable environment, and like every job I've ever had, I try to do it to the best of my ability, and ethically, or drag up.
Does the AWS pull CWI certs????? All I know, is that neither the AWS or my employer will have cause to question my ethics.
Thank you,
John
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-11-2008 18:26
APPLAUSE!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-11-2008 20:12
What little stamp are you refering to? How are they ever going to pull your cert? Do you think there AWS police running around out there? Remember who pays your salary and do them a great job, you will be fine. Just having a little fun Superflux. :)

Jim
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-11-2008 20:30
Just because my therapist CLAIMS I'm paranoid and delusional doesn' mean they aren't watching me...and you!
"..... his thumb flipped the selector to auto with an imperceptable click, as he reinventoried the loaded magazines methodically stacked in the ragged camoflaged dufflebag..."
reprinted with permission from "Tales of a Road Whore, the auto-bio of Superflux"
just a funnin

John
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 06-20-2008 16:59
Superflux is right and that is how I was tought, reading from the top down now my head is going up and down instead of side to side :)
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-09-2008 12:39
I think that both are true. From my experience I have seen butted up socket welds hold with no sign of failure and then they fail. Weather it started after the weld was completed or was caused by thermal expansion of the opperating system I believe is debatable. The only failure analysis that we ever perform determined the cause of failure was due to the pipe being butted up to the socket fitting and thermal expansion. The main point I was trying to make was the need for a procedure to put controls in place to verify gap.

Jim
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-09-2008 13:26
Hello Jim;

Can you explain how thermal cycling of a system will result in the initiation of a root crack if the pipe is tight against the socket shoulder?

I would think the coefficient of expansion for the socket fitting and the pipe would be the same provided they are composed of the same material. Likewise I would think the socket and pipe would be at the same temperature because they are in intimate contact. As such, there would be no delta T to cause the length of the pipe (within the socket) to expand (in length) at a different rate than the length of the socket joint. I would think there would have to be a differential in expansion to cause the pipe end to exert additional force against the socket shoulder. If the socket had a coefficient of expansion that was less than that of the pipe, I could understand.

What am I missing?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-10-2008 12:39

I have 25 years of antidotal evidence that concludes my hypothesis without getting to complecated, and some of what I am saying is taken from some studies that I have read produced by organization such as EPRI and API.
The ASME Code requires that an axial gap of 1/16" be provided between the pipe end and the socket.
The reason is that if the pipe carries hot fluid, such as steam, differential thermal expansion between the pipe and the fitting could add enough stress to the weld if there is no gap. Also, without the gap, shrinkage of the
fillet weld could produce residual stresses in the weld, pipe, and fitting wall and could cause cracking that does not propagate out into the entire weld for period of time and then manifest after a period of time as a leak.

Again, I know this is debatable, and that's why I tried (obviously with not much success due to my inability to comunicate well enough) :) to convey the need to have controls in place to make sure there is a gap.

I hope that give some clairity to my previous points.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-10-2008 16:56
Hello Jim;

I know what you are saying and I agree that a root crack, once initiated, isn't going to go away, it can only get bigger. I just assumed (a dangerous word if ever there was one), that a fitting and any pipe attached to it would be at the same temperature (+/- a degree or two) since they are in intimate contact and in most cases where heat is involved, they are insulated. 

The case where differential expansion and contraction can come into play is where dissimilar metal are used for the fitting and pipe. Austenitic stainless and carbon steel comes to mind because the coefficients of conductivity and expansion are so different.

I believe it comes down to establishing "standard practices" to minimize the chance that improper techniques will be applied. Can you imagine the nightmares that would result if on every project you had to "retrain" the tradesmen of what they could do, shouldn't do, and can't do. Maybe the truth of the matter is that in attempting to "streamline" how things are done, we are inadvertently shooting ourselves in the foot by not providing adequate direction to the workers.

Then again, how many times have we read responses from the trades of, "We've done it this way for twenty years without a problem!" The problem is, we have a very poor system of providing feed back to the contractors that performed the original work, so they never hear that the system suffered problems five, six, or eight months (or years) after "it" was installed. I had a customer that has been fabricating small pressure vessels for the Navy for nearly fifty years. They have never had a reported failure and they've always touted that as a sure indication that they had their processes under control. The engineers at the ship year told me they (my client) had one of the worst records for leakage after several years of use, more than any other suppliers of similar equipment. When I told my client of the conversation I had with the shipyard, they were completely caught off guard. They had no problems reported to them, so they assumed everything was operating as intended.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-11-2008 13:23
Excellent points Al. It has to start up front at the start of a project. Interjecting SOP's are a must. If you are getting crafts from Petro-Chem and they are not use to putting a gap in as demonstrated by the post about an NH3 line and now they are working on a power job, it's going to take some upfront training. It's very simple, I've done something as simple as gathering the crew together (with the foremans permission) and taking 5 min. and going over the gap requirement. I have found that if the Quality dept. is building relationships with the crafts and not trying to make their lives miserable it is an easier task to do things like this.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-11-2008 13:49 Edited 05-11-2008 13:52
You and I have similar opinions in that regards. QA/QC working with production can yield better results that an adversarial relationship.

However, I've had projects where the contractor was totally adversarial from the get go. The results is usually less than desirable, but you live with what you have, not what you'd like to have in the words of Rumsfeld (or words to that affect).

I've had a few projects where, after seeing it was to their benefit, the contractor decided to have a meeting of the minds and asked, "What do we have to do to get this project back on the right track?" They quickly discovered that they had nothing to gain and everything to lose if they didn't change their attitude and methodology.

Whenever possible, I like to get in on the ground floor with the architect and engineer as the project specifications are developed. I usually request the boiler plate be modified to indicate the owner pays for the initial inspection, but the contractor pays for any reinspection. It is amazing to see the change in attitude and workmanship when the contractor discovers he is paying the inspector out of his pocket. The reject rate drops exponentially and when I do get called back for reinspection, the punch list is completed, unlike other projects were the contractor completes one item and waits to see if I'm going to reinspect every item on the punch list or just the one he's completed. I got called back 8 times on one project that had a list of 21 items to be repaired. Finally the owner asked me what it was going to take for me to give him a "clean bill of health". I told him the argument wasn't with me, it was with his steel erector that was playing games and not completing the work. Instead the contractor was completing just one item (of the punch list) at a time. The next time I got called back for a reinspection the entire list was completed.

There are some good contractors and some great contractors. One that I encounter on a regular basis usually will give me a call and asks me to have a meeting with all the crews so they know exactly what to expect from me. We review the bolting requirements and the welding requirements. The plumbing-up crew knows that I will be checking their work as well. The projects usually progress with only minor problems.

Then there's always the problem child, the contractor that tries to get away with everything he can. As one said to me, the general contractor, and the owner, "Al, at any one time I have about ten jobs going. You can only be on one and I can afford that. Getting caught is simply a cost of doing business." I'm happy to say the owner fired him on the spot and that contractor has gone out of business long ago.

So, I couldn't agree with you more. A prejob meeting with the workers pays dividends to the owner in the form of getting top quality work that is on schedule and the contractor makes more money because he doesn't have to go back and rework or repair their work. Its done correctly the first time. Every body wins.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 06-22-2008 14:59
Jim, I've always used a gap, but somewhere I read that ASME changed their code on the last edition update to not require a socket weld gap. I only have D1.1, D1.5, and API 1104 at hand. Do you have the latest ASME and could you give us the location of the applicable wording on this? It would greatly help me as I'm doing some steam work this week. Thanks for all posts; this is a great source of information for me.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 06-22-2008 18:34
Stringer, I only have the ASME B31.1-2004 but here are the references to socket welds. 111.3.1-4; 104.3.1(refers to fig127.4.4(C).)
Figure shows approx. 1/16" gap before welding 

127.3(E) Socket Weld Assembly. In assembly of the joint before welding, the tube shall be inserted into the socket to the maximum depth and then withdrawn approximately 1/16 in. away from the end of the pipe and the shoulder of the socket. [see Fig. 127.4.4(B) and (C).

I don't know what code you are working to and I'm sure you already know this as you stated that you always use a gap but these are the locations referring to socket welds in 31.1 (2004) I can't imagine that anything has changed not requiring a gap especially when elevated temperatures are involved. I hope someone that has updated summary of changes can reply.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-23-2008 13:17
Stringer,
look at 127.4.4 which references you to Figs 127.4.4 (B) and (C) which shows a picture of a socket weld  joint and gives you the formulas to figure the fillet weld size and then gives you a note about Gap. "Approximately 1/16" inch before welding". This is a 2007 requirment.

Hope that helps
Thanks
Jim
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 06-29-2008 14:44
I appreciate your time to look that up. I don't know where I think I read otherwise. As other posters have noted, it wouldn't make sense to 'bottom out' anyway.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 05-09-2008 03:26
Hello LongArc, if you use the search feature and type in Socket weld and RT started on 9/24/2007 you will see everything you wanted to know about a socket weld but were afraid to ask :)
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 05-09-2008 23:47
i did an ammonia line job where you didnt have to space sockets . They did a quick visual and airtest the whole line after. Everywhere else i space 1/8
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-11-2008 20:43
Whether it was "required" or not, it is to my benefit and makes fit-up easier/faster to gap the engagement of socket welds. Is anyone really going to tell you you can't gap and must bottom out the pipe in sockets?
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 06-21-2008 01:27
   Yeah, kinda makes it hard to run a plumb, level line if your constantly ironbound. Not too many people can run the fits when you can't move the fitting, or some of you guys get to look at some seriously crooked installs.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / socket welds