Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / What is a Certified Welding Instructor (CWI)?
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 05-08-2008 10:44
I've had this question for some time; in many of the Educators signatures list 2 CWIs

"Certified Welding Instructor - (usually school name here) and AWS CWI "

I understand the AWS CWI (Certified Welding Inspector) and AWS CWE (Certified Welding Educator), for I hold these credential also.

??The Certified Welding Instructor - (usually school name here)??, I don't understand, is it a certification that one gets from the Department of Education or is it from College or University for which you teach?

I participate with several educational advisory committees and have seen this title a few times before. This question is inspired from not only curiosity, but interest in the prospect of paraprofessional teaching.

Any enlightenment would be helpful to me.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-12-2008 21:08 Edited 05-13-2008 01:28
It's more than likely a misinterpretation of the abbreviation: CWI which as you already know, means Certified Welding Inspector.

Usually it's the person who posts an advertisement in employment websites, that lacks the knowledge and background to make such an error.

Now as far as an educator in this forum having more than one signature for a welding instructor is concerned; the second one not covered by the AWS usually means that they are certified by the person's state entity or public/private funded state university or department of education.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-13-2008 05:03
Henry,

Perfect response! I'm certified through Temple University, which has a direct impact on my qualifications/abilities to instruct secondary students, who require academic and technical credits; and post secondary students who need credentials for employment related advancement. The AWS endorsement may look good on paper, but does it show that the AWS CWE is an effective "conveyor of knowledge and skills"?

Fran
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-13-2008 10:50 Edited 05-13-2008 10:59
Fran

Are you suggesting that a state teaching credential is some assurance that a teacher is an effective conveyor of knowledge and skills?

With high school dropout rates nation wide over 33% and has high as 79 percent in some major cities like Detroit and Cleveland, it's hard to put any confidence in a government mandated certification.  Paper does indeed show that a large minority of government certified teachers are not effective conveyers of knowledge and skills. (not that teachers shoulder the entire blame. They can't fix a broken home)

I'll take a specific topically targeted cert over the current norm any day. 

No child left behind in essence demands that a high school welding teacher have a bachlors degree to teach the trades.  So what few trades programs left in high schools are being staffed by people with education degrees, an ag minor and very probably no welding experience on the job. But they meet the quota of having degreed/certifiable teachers.

Now the AWS CWE program has lots of room to grow and improve... It needs to be culled away from the CWI for starters and the bar raised for passing scores. (and there are efforts to do just that in the works)
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / What is a Certified Welding Instructor (CWI)?