Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Is Solarflux Allowable for Testing??
- - By mtlhead Date 05-08-2008 21:02
   I have researched all WABO (Washington Assoc. of Building Officials) documentation that I have access to and require your help. I am not able to find any information, allowing or dis-allowing, the use of any types of manually applied flux during testing (27-13.11.4 specifically).  My question is can I allow my employees to utilize SOLAR FLUX type B, which conforms to the requirements of United States Military Specification MIL-F-7516B, classes 2 and 4, during their testing for WABO Certification. The compound is applied to the joint area prior to welding to shield the BACK of the weld joint from oxygen, dissipate heat and unwanted oxides, and to clean the surface of the metal. The compound is utilized both in the shop and in the field for all pipe welds, where internal access to the joint is not possible.

Thank you for your help with this matter
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-08-2008 22:27
Hello mtlhead, I can certainly be wrong here, but are you sure that WABO has jurisdiction over the pipe that you are welding and applying the solar flux to? I am open to correction, but I believe they only have jurisdiction over pipe that is used for piling or structural columns and possibly bracing(structural application, not pressure). Otherwise I believe ASME would apply and not be included under the WABO umbrella.
     One other point, is this pipe stainless steel or some other alloy or type that would require this type of backing?, otherwise I don't really see where the solar flux would be needed. Please include a bit more information as I will be very interested to read the responses that you receive. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-09-2008 19:43
perhaps it's pile
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Is Solarflux Allowable for Testing??