Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Sections / Section 41: Puget Sound Olympic / Is Solarflux Allowable for Testing??
- - By mtlhead Date 05-08-2008 21:06
     I have researched all WABO (Washington Assoc. of Building Officials) documentation that I have access to and require your help. I am not able to find any information, allowing or dis-allowing, the use of any types of manually applied flux during testing (27-13.11.4 specifically).  My question is can I allow my employees to utilize SOLAR FLUX type B, which conforms to the requirements of United States Military Specification MIL-F-7516B, classes 2 and 4, during their testing for WABO Certification. The compound is applied to the joint area prior to welding to shield the BACK of the weld joint from oxygen, dissipate heat and unwanted oxides, and to clean the surface of the metal. The compound is utilized both in the shop and in the field for all pipe welds, where internal access to the joint is not possible.

Thank you for your help with this matter
Parent - By Swede101 (*) Date 05-21-2008 00:46
WABO qualification per 27-13 is for Structural applications,  The manuf. of Solarflux indicates the usage is on Stainless Steels.
The use of solarflux would not apply.

Further, the WABO 27-13 qualification document does not permit variation from it's requirements. as I understand it.
To read about WABO WQ qualification, google WABO and look in the Welder qualification menu.
Up Topic Sections / Section 41: Puget Sound Olympic / Is Solarflux Allowable for Testing??