Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / MAPP
- - By coacoo Date 06-26-2001 23:48
When using MAPP as fuel for cutting torchs are there any standards that require wearing gloves? What standards and what type of gloves? I realize the torch manufacturer's recommendations should be followed as well as a hazard assessment which would tend to include gloves but I'm looking to see if any of the welding/cutting standards require gloves?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-27-2001 18:22
If by gloves you mean those appliances that are used to cover and protect the hands, then you don't need to look at any standard: common sense says that it is necessary to use gloves during any welding or cutting operation. What kind of gloves? You don't need to look at any standard either. Go to a reputable safety clothes and appliances shop and ask for their recommendation. If they know what they're selling, they'll recommend the right type of gloves. Another suggestion: I've seen a few advertisements of safety appliances in this AWS site. Take a look at them.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brasil

Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-27-2001 18:48
Professor Crisi,

Your common sense style makes me smile. Like a breath of fresh air, your approach perfectly answers the question.

Now for a surprise. Believe it or not the "American National Standard" is even more brief than your reply.

Check it out.

Excerpt from ANSI/ASC Z49.1-94 Safety in Welding, Cutting and Allied Processes.

4.3.1 Selection. Clothing shall provide sufficient
coverage, and be made of suitable materials, to minimize
skin burns caused by sparks, spatter, or radiation.

4.3.2 Gloves. All welders and cutters shall wear
protective flame-resistant gloves.

Benedictus
Lawrence
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / MAPP