Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / mig for high vacuum welding
- - By gonzo (*) Date 05-09-2008 09:58
Need advise....(help)..I'm  trying to make an argument with the president of the
company I work for. I've been welding large and small high vacuum chambers using the gtaw process
and never used mig on the vacuum side or inside of chambers always use the mig for tacks
or frames the owner has hire a supervisor that has promissed to increase production by 40 percent and wants to use mig on
everything and I mean everything ..hes made some coments about welding that has led me to belive that hes blowing hot air
and doesent really know a lot about vacuum welding .and he cant tig to good either but I'm open minded if there's a right way
will you please help me and guide me the right way to discus this polightly ... with the boss. I need to know before the headaches start
I just cant see the benefit sprayarc or mig for vacuum welding ....help
Parent - By andrewsullivan9 (*) Date 05-11-2008 13:36
Most supervisors like that will want a high ipm thats all they are after quality comes second from my expierience, i reckon use a high percentage argon co2 mix gas like 90/10 and do it all spray arc thats my 10 cents
Parent - - By Daniel Pendell Date 05-12-2008 15:05
I work at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Lab. at Michigan State University.  The word vacuum is a relative term.  For vacuum systems down to pressures of 10 mtorr, GMAW is completely acceptable.  Down to this range it's also
okay to use steel for most vacuum vessels.  Stainless only comes into play below this 10 mtorr pressure.  10-6 and
below usually requires stainless steel.  There less out gassing.  At pressures of 10-9, you can no longer use rubber
seals, and no virtual leaks are acceptable, so special designs are required GTAW or Electron beam.  These pressures also require special pumps. You have to use all metal seals.  Where I work, for transferring liquid helium at 4.7 K steel is fine.  I welded 38, 3/4 inch steel vacuum vessels with GMAW and I only developed one leak (external) which was easily fixable.  The old method here at the lab was welding these containers with GTAW root and 7018 all other passes.  The welding time with this old method was about 12 hours per box.  GTAW took one pass with .45 wire at high amperage 400-600 amps, time required per box was 2.2 hours.  I was fast at rolling them.(on the floor) I don't remember the exact amperage.  These boxes were about 5 feet long and 3 feet wide and about 2.5 feet tall.  To this date they are all in operation with no leaks.  The leak that I did develope was at an stop and start overlap.  This area always takes precaution.  By the way, I had to write a proposal to get them to accept this GMAW procedure.
I hope this is of help to you.
Dan Pendell, Skilled Trades Welder, Local 999 AFL-CIO     
Parent - By gonzo (*) Date 05-12-2008 19:48
thank you very much for the info it makes me feel a little bit at ease
I will try to work out a welding procedure that will allow us to move foward into
GMAW your info hit the nail right on the head....thank's once again I
Apricciate the help ......Zalo
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / mig for high vacuum welding