Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Qusetion D1.1:2006
- - By flamin (**) Date 05-09-2008 16:21
Hi guys-

I'm going through my D1.1 book, studying Sec 3 for "Prequalification of WPS's". In the figure 3.3, for example, Pg.74 where it has the Joint Designation B-P1a, what does the lower case letter stand for? In the legend on page73, it says............

"The lower case letters, e.g., a,b,c,etc., are used to differentiate between joints that would otherwise have the same joint designation."

I'm not sure I follow? Are these letters referring to the notes that are contained in the legend on page 73?

Thanks again
Jason
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 05-09-2008 18:06
Jason,

On page 74 there are three joint designations that begin with B-P1.........   B-P1a, B-P1b, and B-P1c.  They're all three: B (butt joint),  They're all three P (partial penetration), and they're all three 1 (square groove weld), but they can't all three be called B-P1 because there's something else different about each of them.  For example, look in the Weld Size (E) column or Total Weld Size (E1 + E2) column for each of the three.  That's the reason for the a, b, and c added at the end.  This lower case letter is what differentiates each joint from the other. 

The only letters that apply to page 73 are indicated in the "Notes" column to the right of the Weld Size (E) column or Total Weld Size (E1 + E2) column. 
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 05-09-2008 18:16
Okay, I see it now. It seems painfully obvious now.

Thanks.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Qusetion D1.1:2006