Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / steel detailing training school
- - By Joe Andrews Date 05-09-2008 19:05
[deleted]
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-10-2008 07:23
Hello Joe Andrews, I am certainly no detailer nor am I an engineer. I can tell you however, that if you can come up with some ways to help these folks out in preventing drawing up items that can't possibly begin to be built you will have the accolades of many in the fabrication and welding world. I believe some of the most common frustrations that fabrication shops come up against relate to the lack of experience(on the part of detailers or engineers) with general shop equipment and their applications and uses. The age-old point comes to mind, "just because you can draw it doesn't necessarily mean it can be built", all too often this is exactly the case. In many cases the engineers and detailers will call out for items to be formed and then not take into account the equipment, dies, and tools that the shop posesses, stretch-outs will be incorrect, hence sheared or cut sizes will be off. Sometimes this can mean scrapped parts and excessive waste and rework. Arguably, when you are dealing with outside detailing you can't expect them to be familiar with a specific shops capabilities, so you can't really blame them directly. On the other hand if the folks that provide these services had the forethought to inquire about some of these things there would likely be a lot better relationship and mutually shared respect between the two. As you mentioned in your post there are plenty of examples out in the trade where better planning, information, and communication could benefit everyone.
     I certainly believe you could get a buy-in from a reasonable number of folks to proceed with your endeavor and likely when gains are realized you would have many others willing to give it a go as well. I also know from many different sources of information that the internet is certainly one of the hot -ticket modes of contact where this could be an immense benefit and very likely well received. Best of luck to you and regards, aevald
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / steel detailing training school