Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Combine process FCAW & SMAW
- - By hung7601 (*) Date 05-10-2008 07:24
Hi Guys

Have you ever qualified any WPS with combine process of SMAW and FCAW? is that possible?

Thanks in advance
Alex
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-10-2008 07:49
Hello Alex, I believe there are a few threads where there were discussions relating to intermixing various processes and some of the problems that "could" be associated with doing that. My first response to your question would be that it is certainly possible, at the same time you might need to do some research to determine any detrimental effects of using one or the other in a specific combination. You might also detail the specifics of your proposed process so that those who are "in the know" could comment as to any issues that might cause you a problem for your specific proposal.
     You might consider running a specific WPQR to verify that your procedure will indeed work and have it tested and verified according to the specific code(s) that are required of the job(s). After reading your post again I realized that there are quite a few WPS's that do call out for SMAW roots using E6010 or E6011 and then fill and cap with FCAW-G, the ones that I was thinking of specifically are used for splicing pipe pilings. Hope this gives you a little something to go by, also try including a detailed description and likely others will chime in with additional information. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By hung7601 (*) Date 05-14-2008 06:10
Thanks Allan

you are totally right, it is possible. and I need to run PQR.

Thanks again
Alex
Parent - By sea Date 05-14-2008 12:43
hello
yes you can qualify
smaw +fcaw ( as example pipe line ...)
root passe smaw (E6010)
other  pass fcaw
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Combine process FCAW & SMAW