Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best cheap tig setup
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-11-2008 06:32 Edited 05-11-2008 06:36
Ok I am being lazy I admit it.

Friend is wanting to start fabbing some older aircraft structures to make some spare cash.  It will be mostly 4130 thin guage material.   Think .035 to .060.  He wanted me to recommend a mig setup and I said you can do it but you would be much better served with a tig rig. 

What can he get for $2k or less new.  I figure for what he wants to do he will need a low ceiling of around 20 amps, duty cycle is not real important as he will not be cranking out tons of weld.   I thought about a hobart econotig/tigmate...any other suggestions?

No need to speel about liability, faa regs/shop certification or any of that as its all well known in this case.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-11-2008 07:12
Hello Tommy, I would imagine he can get his hands on a bunch of the smaller inverter type tig set-ups for the 2K, expecially if he isn't going to need AC capability. I have a Thermal Arc 190 GTS as one of my home rigs, they don't make that model anymore but there are newer versions of it. It is 110/220V full pulse capable, upslope/downslope, hi-freq, lift arc, scratch start, and good from around 3 to 90 amps on 110V and 3 to 200amps on 220V. Can utilize slide/rotary controls on the torch or a foot pedal and weighs about 12 pounds. They were 1600 new and I got mine for 1/2 that as a rental yard closeout. I know that Miller makes a 150 that is close in performance but I don't believe it has the pulse capability or if it does it has to be added on. There is also a Lincoln version with the invertec name, yet I have heard that there have been some problems associated with these and am not sure if they have been fully resolved yet. ESAB makes a smaller inverter that has many of the same features as the others but I don't know a lot about it. OTC makes a small inverter that has many features and I believe is quite a good machine, providing you can find service for it. If he's really wanting to go on the Cheap, Harbor Freight sells a Chicago Electric machine that would probably have enough features to satisfy his needs, I believe some of these machines are manufactured in Italy and are really quite good. You might want to jump on the internet and check out some of these and compare the specs and prices and see if anything jumps out at you. The Miller Econo-tigs, Hobart models, and Lincoln models of the transformer/rectifier machines are quite reliable machines but I don't believe they go down far enough in the amp range without adding special kits, I believe 30 amps is the basement on these machines. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 05-11-2008 11:18
I am not sure as to what air craft you are referring, but I know from my experience at least 4130 isn't really one of the more common metal groups we actually weld that is air craft applicable. Mag, Ti, and Al more so then chrome-moly, I'm not saying it isn't present just not what the predominant metal group is that require maintenance. A contractor I use to work for piping used small Lincoln Invertecs a fair amount they weren't half bad little rigs and defiantly held up well with extended duty cycle. He could try shopping around the net or even locally I know there is one supply place around here that is really great to work with on prices if you are a return customer, even if you are just returning for consumables not the big ticket items. We use Synchrowave's on base and I have one at home I'm pretty content with it. Having a synchrowave would give your buddy the ability to have hi-freq as well and not be so limited, which if he is going to do air craft work in any amount he really should be able to weld Al. He can defiantly save a lot of money if he is comfortable not needing a remote and is good with a standalone rig like you would have on a construction site. Good luck with the search and I'm sure he has his A&P, so no need to worry about the FAA spiel hah ;). Although from what I understand all unknown parts that ever get welded on come off an old POS lawn mower!
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-11-2008 23:47
Ditto here on the synchrowave. I've blown some boards, but they are still cheap compared to the alternatives.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-12-2008 00:21 Edited 05-12-2008 00:23
Good info to consider Allen TYVM.   The low ceiling on amperage is a must for what he wants to do.  But a good all around AC/DC 200-300 amp powersupply would be far out of his reach new....used maybe.  I will have a look around on the thermal arcs as there are some dealers nearby.  I will of course check lincoln, miller as well......I had no idea you could get inverters in that price range.   Of course I bet you won't find any AC/DC machines that low new.

mechan   he is wanting to manufacture some structure parts for vertical stabilizers, maybe some wing supports, ailerons, and elevator parts for old pipers.  Most of the kit parts are tubing structures made from 4130....he has every blueprint from the 40's on just about and of course he follows the procedures outlined in the maintenance books.  Just old single prop jobs here man....no turbines or compressors, no hastelloy, no inconel, no TI   none of this stuff will involve aluminum welding    ......thats where we work not what he is wanting to do for himself.     I totally agree a 200 or 300 synchrowave would be a great way to go but he is not gonna soak 5g starting out.   He just needs something to manage the small tubing to get started...if he makes a killing then he can go get the best inverter out there....IF he makes a killing LOL!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-12-2008 00:56
Hello again Tommy, if there are any rental yards in your vicinity, you might want to take a trip over to them and check out what they have available. There is the possibility, as was the case for me, that they might be ready to cycle through some of their rental fleet machines. Likely these might be Lincolns, Esabs, Millers, Thermal Arcs, or other name brand reputable machines that would serve him well. Just a little something to consider, you never know they might well have some choices of the more expensive machines with AC capabilities that would fall into his budget. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By mechan (**) Date 05-12-2008 01:54
Good luck on the project sounds like it could be a fun break from the every day grind!! I would check out used and don't count out the snychrowaves, specially if you can find one used! Craigslist can be a gold mine at times or a trash bin at others, I guess patience is the virtue with used items. Have fun and remember for all you know you were making lawn mower parts ;)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-12-2008 03:32
One of My friends got a Chinese inverter TIG machine, I think on eBay. It was new and had a waranty, GOOD THING. The machine gave problems at temperatures above about 76 F, and since the guy lives in the US Virgin Islands, that is most of the time. They replaced it, the replacement works fine. He has since gotten a used Syncrowave 250, Torch, regulator, water cooler & pedal for somewhere in the 1,000-1,200 price range.

About the cheapest way to go would be an old Miller Goldstar 320 or 330 A B/P. These often go for less than 750 complete, sometimes a lot less. Lincoln 300-300's and Miller Dialarc 250's often go for about 750 or less. Machines that may be hard to get parts or service for can be had pretty reasonable, maybee not worth the agravation.

You might guess I lean toward used industrial quality machines. My Sincrowave 300 with low amp kit & pulser, cooler & pedal was about 1300 after taxes & buyer's premium at an industrial auction.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-12-2008 04:04
Hello Dave, the machine and the price for yours is definitely a GOOD deal. I just don't know if I could afford the KVA's that it might suck up when you are pushing it hard!......... I am funnin you. That sounds like a very nice combination and a great machine. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-12-2008 05:25
Allan, I had been following the selling prices of Syncrowaves for a while on eBay, and it seemed that the 250 frequently sells higher than the 300 and sometimes higher than the original 350. These are admitidly older and heavier machines, but the floor space requirements are about the same as a 250, and they don't pull any more power at the same output.

The 250 is an extremely popular home shop/small shop machine, and sells at a premium price because of it.

My friend was extremely luckey to find the 250 He got at that price, but the guy who found it for him comes into a lot of good deals.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-12-2008 07:04
Hello again Dave, there is a rather funny bumper sticker that I have seen on a few occasions that goes something like this, "Driver carries no cash, he's married". I have certainly run into many really great deals, yet other obligations have taken precedence over buying them, I believe you can follow my drift.
     The guys that are SA 200 fans would cry over some of the deals I have seen in my local area recently, good running machines for $600 and sometmes less. As with any "Deal", it's only a deal if it's within a reasonable distance so that you don't have to pay more for the shipping than the article is worth and with today's fuel prices that is certainly the truth. The deals are definitely out there as well, it's usually a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I also have a friend that operates a used tool business and he does an excellent job of keeping me in mind when he comes across items that he knows that I have an interest in. In return, I always try to help him out when he gets tools in and is trying to determine if they are working properly or need any attention or are lacking anything, sometimes we are able to barter and both of us come out ahead. I also operate on the principle that if I am looking to find and own a particular tool, I will, if it was meant to be. Hope your health is good these days and continues to be so. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-13-2008 03:50
   Allan, I am over the cold, and as I didn't get any chemo last week I feel pretty good, energy is coming back.

I have found that it takes patience to find the things You want at the right price, and if they are large items, finding them close to home as well. Of course, some things NEVER go cheap, and if You want one, well You just have to pay what they are worth.

As You mention, to take advantage of deals that do come up You need to be able to spend the money without deliberating much, or someone else will buy the item.

If You need something RIGHT NOW, You pretty much have to pay the going price and live with it.

I am more likely to suffer from "Didn't buyer's remorse" from thinking about a purchase too long and missing an opportunity, rather than "Buyer's remorse" from buying things and later wishing I had not.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-13-2008 04:12
Yes Dave, I will certainly second your last statement. More than a few times when I expected to see the same or similar item show up again, figuring on getting it on the second run.................still waiting. All the best to you, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best cheap tig setup