Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SAW of 409 Stainless Steel
- - By Mick Date 06-29-2001 16:02
I am looking for information on Sub-arc welding of 3/8" 409 Stainless. I am building (2) 66" dia. stacks that are 120' tall & want to do all the exterior welds with our Lincoln Sub-Arc. If anyone has a Pre-qualified weld procedure for a full penetration butt weld, I would very much appreciate a look @ it. Thanks in advance..
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 06-29-2001 21:06
Dont know if you will find a "Pre-Qualifed" spec--- but--- not knowing for sure what results you want.

You can use ER410 with ST-100,flux, 32 volts & PWHT 1250-1300 deg F.

Wire size and set up (backing or No) will effect your amps and welding speed

But I would suppose that you need to put more thought than that in to it.
I would take that and work on a PQR.

You may want to do something else with the PWHT to get the results you want. 1250 should make it reasonably bendable

There are other fluxes also but you mentioned Lincoln.

There other fillers also that might give more desirable results depending on what you want to spend.

But the above variables are out of a QUALIFIED procedure.

But I say again our requiments probably are not the same as yours
Parent - - By Mick Date 07-02-2001 17:42
Ron,

Thanks for the response! I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I was going to try using 5/32" 309 wire & BlueMax 2000 neutral flux. (I spoke w/ a weld engineer @ Lincoln & this is what he reccommneded as Lincoln doesn't offer a 409 wire). I planned on needing to use 309L solid wire on the inside of the tube sections for a backer. Do you think that this is practicle?
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-02-2001 21:16
Sure 309L is a great but costly filler. I am guessing you dont plan to PWHT
409 has so little Carbon! Do you really need the L?

We use some fluxes that Lincoln doesnt make so we try to stick to one Brand. But we have used the "BlueMax" and had no problems with it.

I dont know of any one that makes "409" filler.

I am not sure I understood your last statement concerning "Backing". I should think a Non-removeable backing would be inorder or dose it matter?

Have you ever tried ceramic backing? We really like it here.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-02-2001 17:22
This is not a reply but a question. Why do you need stainless steel stacks? To withstand corrosion, of course, but aren't they too expensive? Wouldn't it be cheaper to make them of carbon steel and line them up with a suitable corrosion resistant lining such as the so called "antiacid" bricks, tile or concrete?
I'd very much appreciate your answer, so I can learn something new. I was involved in corrosion resistant stacks design years ago, they were made of reinforced concrete and lined with "antiacid" bricks.
Thank you for your kindness.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Mick Date 07-02-2001 17:48
Mr. Crisi,

I am only fabricating the stacks. Our company had nothing to do with the design on this job. I can tell you that they are "Cooler Vent Stacks" for a shingle granule factory. It is a relativly low cost stainless, but very hard to find in thicknesses over 1/4". All of the duct & hood work below the stacks are also made of 409. I hope this helps?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SAW of 409 Stainless Steel