Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto-Darkening Hood-Splatter on Filter
- - By Greg Allen Date 07-02-2001 16:02
I have a "Chameleon" auto-darkening helment that I purchased from Harbor Freight. This is the first auto-darkening hood I have ever owned and it's seen lots of use and it's been working fine ever since I bought it 6 months ago. The filter darkens and returns to normal ok. I always keep the "plastic" cover plates in place and clean. After doing some welding the other day, a couple of hours later I started to feel a burning sensation in my right eye. Having experienced having my eyes burned as a youngster, I am sure this was a result of welding. I took out the filter and noticed that it had a couple of weld splatters on it. Are these splatter spots allowing the welding rays to get through the filter? Should the filter be replaced any time it get's ONE splatter spot on it? I don't really want to buy a new filter every 6 months. Any advise on keeping splatter from getting to the filter. With my old style fixed shade hood, I never had a problem with splatter getting on the filter.

Thanks in advance.

g-allen@tamu.edu
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 07-02-2001 21:05
I would certainly replace the filter if it has more than one spot on it. Sometimes you can get by with a spot or two as long as no clear light is showing through the lens. I have a spot on my speedglas and I haven't had any trouble with it. But most definitely get another lens....Your eyes can't take much flashburn.
And as far as keeping spatter off the filter, watch the overhead welding...That's the only time I think about my cover plates. Depending on how thin they are, maybe put two of them together or make your own plates out of a thicker plastic.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto-Darkening Hood-Splatter on Filter