Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / tube welders/pipe welders-TIG/STICK
- - By jonesythebrit (*) Date 05-14-2008 22:03
I am starting to compile a database of welders- TIG/STICK tube, combo welders. This will be used to link welders to jobs, cutting out the angencies. I am only interested in the highest calibre of welder, able to pass a 6GR test, Tig root/hot pass, 7018 fill and cap. if your are such a welder or you know of such a person, please forward email address to worldwidewelders@yahoo.com
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-16-2008 14:00
You are gonna take a welders word for what "calibre" of welder he is ? Good luck.

Where is this database. Will it be visible to the public? What is the end use ? Will welders have to go through you to contact employers? Will employers have to contact you to find welders.

I have considered this and actually tried it in the past for inspectors but was overun with spam attack on the webforms I made which filled the MSAccess database backend. I have a couple of domains hosted now that support ASP.net with MS SQL server databases but I am still in the learning stages.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-16-2008 14:18
Gerald,
  "You are gonna take a welders word for what "calibre" of welder he is ? Good luck."

Thats one thing I like about you, you will tell it like it is. Call a spade a spade so to speak.

With just a very few exeptions, any given welder is the best there is, was or ever will be. If someone does not beleive this, ask ten welders and you will probably find ten that are "the best".

Still do not beleive? Spend a little time browseing through this forum and notice how many claim to be "the best".

Welders are a proud breed. I know, I am one. And at one time, I thought I was the best, go figure.:-)

But all in all this could be benificial to the welding community, if set up and ran properly. Which BTW is something I would not be able to accomplish, so I respect anyone who would even attempt it.

John
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-16-2008 15:38
I have long wanted to do a "registry" of welders and inspectors myself. I just haven't worked out the logistics yet. There are so MANY resume databases that I had put resumes into in the past when I get contacted people tell me they found my resume on the website.

A search for "Welding Inspection" and Resume brings one of my old sites up usually on the 1st page on google. So I have sites that are well indexed. Its just a matter of making the data secure from the bums that don't have anything better to do with their time than flood web forms with spam data.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22welding+INspection%22+resume&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

With welding there are some key terms that could take a long time to be indexed on searc engines and ass the web fills up with garbage pages that are just a random collection of text from pages everywhere the search engines become more and more useless.

An online database can provide search capabilities unmatched by regular search engines including geographical searches by Zip, processes, past project types, time of year to travel, wage at home, wage on the road etc.

It can be done and is in the works in my head and at home.

Gerald
Parent - - By southerngray (**) Date 05-26-2008 10:20
The welder who was better than me died last week
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-26-2008 12:55
I am sorry to hear that.
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 05-26-2008 14:33
None of you are the best, because I am the best.  :)  LOL
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-26-2008 14:37
Only because I put my leads away!  LMAO. :-)
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-09-2008 13:38
Twin arc overhead saw, I run that all day at work, that makes me the best.
talk about ego's I used to compete or watch state skills usa welding competitions, everyone there knows they are the best and only lost cause they were given bad rods, bad metal, etc etc.  Classmate of mine won nationals, they built a little display case with a sample of his welds. Picture perfect.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-10-2008 03:04
Yep, I'm the best...I don't know at what. Haven't quite figured that out yet. Boy, have I got a lot to learn! :-) S.W.

"I prefer speed & accuracy to size & power...Anyday." (Detective Dan Wilkes, IPSC Prcatical Automatic Pistol Champion 4 years running, True Identies, Not Far From Nowhere, Book I.)
Parent - By rigwelder8201 (*) Date 06-12-2008 03:56
now thats funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 06-12-2008 15:35
I do not know if you have any expierience with the common arc program. You could probably find a lot of good tube welders there. It is a data base of tube welders already certified in the 6g heavy wall.
Parent - - By mrwizard57 Date 07-11-2008 19:55
I'm not one of those that think I'm the best but I'm pretty good at what I do,what I'd like to know is how to become better? I like to get into the tig aspect of welding can you give me some insight so as when I learn this I can be better and you can give me a job
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-11-2008 20:30
Hello mrwizard57, tig welding is about specifics as well as adaptability. There are many parts of the welding trade that utilize the GTAW process, a lot of these areas have some very specific requirements regarding procedure and skills and do not allow for creativity, thus you have to be able to produce quality on a regular and repeatable basis. In a nutshell this means you need to be aware of the exact procedures and parameters that are required of this work and practice until this is basically second nature or automatic in a sense. Practice, practice, practice, is much of the key to having the necessary physical skills to be good at this. Sight and puddle recognition are also very valuable to being a proficient welder with this process. Being knowledgeable of metallurgical issues, do's and don'ts regarding use of the process, and it's limitations will also be very helpful. Where do you get all of this? There are many resources that will help with these issues. Just following many of the posts on the forum here will give you a lot of helpful information. Considering schooling for learning and perfecting GTAW welding will also be helpful. Applying for and being accepted into an apprenticeship program is another avenue to help you to prepare for success with your goals. If you know of any shops or facilities in your area that do the type of GTAW welding that you're interested in you may want to consider trying to hire on with them. Even if you don't initially hire on for the GTAW welding part it is likely that you will be able to observe, learn, and question what you see happening with the GTAW welding that is done in that shop. If you show an active interest you may very well find the opportunity knocking before you know it and be well on your way to pursue your dreams. There is certainly a lot of other suggestions that could be discussed with you and likely others will share their thoughts. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 07-11-2008 21:51 Edited 07-11-2008 21:55
I am without question the best welder in my house!!! ( my boys are still fairly young! I kick their rod stickin, pecker track leavin butts!)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-12-2008 19:49
I suck............hows that for honesty...
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 07-16-2008 20:43
So, is this list going to be available for all to see or is this list just for YOUR personal database? I don't knock you for your efforts but really this compilation of info is worthless unless others can use it and/or update it . I , myself would like to hear about this info database more. Who is it for ... who can use it ... will it yield job potential ... etc. I'm sure we welders all want to know.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 07-16-2008 21:45
I think Jonesy went back to Britain.  He hasnt posted in over two months. 
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 07-27-2008 04:42
I hear that get that interweb thingy over there too.  hehe
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / tube welders/pipe welders-TIG/STICK