Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat treating 6061 T6
- - By whiteyford M1A1 (**) Date 05-15-2008 03:19
Hi
First time poster so please bare with me:)
I need some advice? I did try the search but nothing fit my situation.
  I have a  small project with a contract specification for heat treating some small weldments on a non critical application (6061-T-6). The typical members are  1/8" to 3/8", 3/8 to 3/8 and 3/8 to 1/2" ,fillets only. The largest weld callout is 3/8" fillet.
  I was hoping to ask for relief on heat treating. I'm leaning toward thinner material not needing it.. Any input would be greatly appreciated? I hope to provide a quality part but do not want to waste the customers $ either.  (I guess this is engineering)?
I plan on MIG spray single pass, .047 & .062.  24-28v.... Any suggestions on filler metal for excellent appearance.
Thank you
Randy
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-15-2008 05:16
Some filler materials are heat treatable, others are not. First You need to find out if You must heat treat or not, and that is an engineering question, one for the customer's engineeres.
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 05-15-2008 20:11
Whitey-
I go through this same question all the time. After explaining to the customer the expected as-welded strength reduction of the 6061-T6 and cost and process to restore the T6 condition and possible distortion issues, they almost always agree that PWHT for "noncritical" parts is not required and waive the requirement. 

I have no experince with MIG on aluminum but 4043 is the typical filler that we use for GTAW on 6061 when PWHT is not required; 4643 is used when heat treat is necessary to restore full T6 condition; 5356 is used if the part is to be anodized (4043 will turn dark if anodized).   
Parent - - By whiteyford M1A1 (**) Date 05-19-2008 01:35
Hi Tom
Thanks for the input.  You seem to be very familiar with the subject. I was hoping you might elaborate a bit more on distortion?

After discussions with the engineer I was left with,"The part must be able to maintain structural integrity without distortion". ????
I estimate the live load on the part to be less than 5% of the actual design strength. It was way over designed.

Thanks again
Whitey
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 05-19-2008 12:58
W-
Dealing with distortion is an art form and sometimes has to begin with the design itself.  In designs with important interface dimensions, you should consider using thicker members to allow milling the important surfaces to final dimension after welding (and pwht if it is required) is complete. Depending on how large and complex the article is, the design may have to permit shimming at assembly - this will need to be discussed with your engineer.  Sometimes you can bend the article back into position with presses or smaller spot rams. Be careful with this practice as you are probably yielding material in order to regain your dimension and drawing conformity (Always PT all welds after this practice). DO NOT HIDE THE FACT THAT YOU ARE PERFORMING PRESSING OPERATIONS FROM THE ENGINEER - THEY MUST KNOW THIS MAY BE NECESSARY AND ALSO ACCEPT IT IS A FACT OF LIFE.  The responsible engineer will then evaluate whether yielded material is detrimental to his/her structure.        Clamping to a work table may reduce some distortion; usually after your first piece you can see what the behaviour is and perhaps prior to welding you can prebend members opposite the expected directions of your distortion. Then too, your welders needs to work their heat in zones so as to avoid concentrating all the heat in one area for prolonged period. You will read in all the references that most aluminum alloys do not require preheat or may list a nominal room temperature as preheat. We have learned that preheating to about 100 degrees or above may have several weld quality benefits, including distortion control. Pay attention to interpass temps which will vary depending on alloy. These are significant for metalurgical reasons but are important for distortion concerns also.  Typical for us is about 250 deg F on 5xxx & 6xxx EXCEPT for 5456 where we have a max interpass of 150 deg F.  Beware Whitey! I am just rattling off on our shop practice, you must educate yourself on the good and bad that comes out of your own shop. 

The comment from your engineer seems typical of a Government engineer. Would that be correct? His/her idea of distortion may not be what you are thinking about. Everything will distort under load. His/her design must predict and survive the intended service as well as the flexure attendant with those service loads. The statement has no bearing on the shop welder who will build to print.   I suggest you get his butt into your shop and go over the realities and educate him/her a little. Or who knows, they may educate you as well. At any rate an exchange of information is a good thing.

Sorry fo rambling - I hope something here was useful to you. 
Parent - By whiteyford M1A1 (**) Date 05-19-2008 13:16
Hi Tom
Yes, your correct about the engineer!
Thanks for the info. I'm very familiar with controlling steel distortion and thought there may be  other considerations for aluminum that I'm not aware of. I see several similarities noted in your response.
Thanks again
Whitey
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 05-19-2008 19:27
I'm an injuneer and I design a lot of fabrications in welded 6061 T6.  I design for reduced strength in the heat affected zones, and have never specified a re-heat treatment.  Many times the actual stresses in these fabrications are low enough that the reduced strength due to welding is not a problem.  Check with the engineer - I would think he would have designed for the as-welded strength.

Bob Garner
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat treating 6061 T6