Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AASHTO Fracture Toughness Criteria
- - By js55 (*****) Date 05-15-2008 17:14
Hoping for a little clarification here on toughness requirements.
The way I understand it AASHTO makes the assumption that brittle fracture will not occur 70deg F below the tested 15 ft/lb level using a Charpy Impact test.
Therefore if a material achieves > or = 15 ft/lbs at 70deg (usng AASHTO tables) it is then acceptable for use in a bridge with design min temp of 0deg.
My first question is: Is my assessment of AASHTO's assumption correct?
And: Is my understanding AASHTO's determination of material acceptability accurate?
And certainly feel free to open the discussion further.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 05-15-2008 18:21
My (poor) understanding of the AASHTO requirements and test temperatures is that there is a 70-degree temperature shift to account for the difference between impact loading and fatigue loading, and so that's why a test performed at 70F is supposed to give you reliable performance in service at 0F.

Hg
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-15-2008 18:29
That makes sense, given fatigue concerns with bridges,though I won't pretend to understand it. I assume the 70deg increment is emperically based?

You have any links or papers that discusses this issue?
thanks
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 05-15-2008 18:44
I have the Barsom & Rolfe book "Fatigue and Fracture Control in Structures" and my class notes from a Lincoln Electric seminar on fracture & fatigue control in structures.

You could try doing a web search for AASHTO, toughness, "temperature shift", but the first few results I got were all papers that had to be purchased.

Try these:
http://www.usace.army.mil/publications/eng-manuals/em1110-2-2105/c-3.pdf
http://wiryanto.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/14_1_002.PDF

Hg
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-15-2008 18:50
HgTX
That second link especially looks promising. I'm printing it up right now.
thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AASHTO Fracture Toughness Criteria