Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Multiple PQR, same welder qualification test
- - By Stephen32 (*) Date 05-15-2008 21:45
I am about to start adding to the company weld procedures. We can not use pre-qualified because of tensile strength. My question is this:
If I use all of the same essential variables on FCAW-g, except for the groove detail, and make two separate PQR's, one being a v-groove, and one being a single bevel, can the welder qualification test that will be given, as well as the WPS used be combined into one. If not WHY? And WHERE does it say this in D1.1

Thanks.
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 05-15-2008 23:15
I'm not sure I follow.
Are you asking if the welder can qualify the two seperate WPS's at the same time (in the same session), or qualify a V Groove and Single Bevel together on the same plates as one procedure?

Jason
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-16-2008 02:29
I may not be nderstanding your situation completely but I will throw out some information.

1) The number of WPS's qualified by testing as required by D1.1 has nothing to do with what welder tests are to be done.

2) If the welder performs the welding on one of the test assemblies for the PQR, he will be be qualified to weld with ANY procedure that has variables that fall within that welders qualified ranges.

I may be missing what you are asking.

Have a good day.

Gerald
Parent - - By Stephen32 (*) Date 05-16-2008 12:08
Let me clear things up. I am taking two different PQR tests. One being:

1" A572 gr50. Volts @26, Wire Speed @300, Travel speed @ 6-10IPM, Gas flow @35cfh, 75-25 A-CO2. Position 1G. Joint V-groove
the other being:
1" A572 gr50. Volts @26, Wire Speed @300, Travel speed @ 6-10IPM, Gas flow @35cfh, 75-25 A-CO2. Position 1G. Joint Single-Bevel Groove.

All of the other essential variables are the same on both tests.

Assuming that both PQR tests pass all required, my question is this:
Can I combine both PQR's onto one WPS and use this to give my Welder Qualification Test. Will the test Qualify the welders for both grooves?

thanks
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-16-2008 12:24
The welder is qualified for both grooves regardless of the combination of PQR's.  Welders do not qualify to use a specific procedure. They qualifiy to weld within a range of variables for a given procedure. In addition the WPS they use during qualification may contain variable ranges that are outside the range that they will be qualified for when the
test is complete. So even the statement "He/She is qualified to use procedure XXXX" can be misleading.

Example regarding joints

1) You have the WPS and the welder performs the qualification tests as indicated in your V Groove joint.

2) He is qualified for all other joints that you have wps's for and any future wps's in which the variables of Table 4.12 are within the range of the welding to be performed.

3) If you do weld a PQR and use a joint design that is in section 3 for prequalified, any WPS written using that PQR can use any other joint design in section 3 provided the tolerances are followed.

Hope this helps some.

The welder is qualified for both grooves regardless of the content of the WPS used regarding joints.

Gerald
Parent - - By Stephen32 (*) Date 05-16-2008 12:57
Thank You Gerald that is what I needed confirmed. Its people like you that make this a very beneficial place.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-16-2008 13:01
Places like this that help some of us be beneficial!

Have a good day

Gerald
Iuka, MS
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 05-16-2008 13:54
Yes you will need two WPS's for both those joints and to kind of clear up what Gerald said and the reason why he said it is all on page 150 table 4.12 of AWS D1.1(2006).  Those are you welder personnel essential variables.  You can test them with your basic groove beveled joint with what ever angle and they will be good to weld to your single bevel WPS with whatever angle because that is not an essential variable for a welder. Type of steel is not either. Type of gass used for the welding test is not either, nor is the tensile of the electrode.  For SMAW they do restrict you in the F# category though.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-16-2008 16:39
Gerald gave you good information but I have a question.  Are both test plates the same material?  If they are, then unless I missed something it seems you would only need to run one test, either of the joints you mentioned, to qualify any of the pre-qualified joint details in D1.1. 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Multiple PQR, same welder qualification test