Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Tig dressing WPS and PQR.
- - By Kix (****) Date 05-16-2008 15:25
I'm kind of confused on how I'm going to qualify a tig dressing WPS under sec 4 of AWS D1.1.  I'll try to describe the joints we dress with the TIG.  Coming up off of the 2 base beams of the ladder running down the full length, you have T-K-Y small square tubing fillet welds acting as the hand rail supports welded with ER80S-D2 GMAW wire.  You also have thin round tubing connecting the 2 beams acting as the rungs of the ladder welded also with GMAW.  We mostly dress cold lap issues and undercut using GTAW with ER80S-D2 filler.  I guess what I'm confused about is you really are welding three different base materials, A607gr60 for the base beam, ER80S-D2 as the filler and probably A500 for the sqaure tubing.  When dressing a toe you're either welding the A607gr60 to the ER80S-D2 or the A500 sqaure tubing to the ER80S-D2. How do you qualify that?  Are ya smellin what I'm cookin here?
     What do you guys think the easiest way to go about qualifying this GTAW WPS would be.  I'm probably making it out to be a lot harder then it really is, but I figured some input from the pro's would be a great learning experience.  Keep in mind that everything on this ladder is thinner than an 1/8" which is supposed to be out of D1.1 territory, but I was told I could still use it.

Thanks, Ray
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-16-2008 15:53
would the tig welding be considered a fillet weld repair?
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-16-2008 17:52 Edited 05-16-2008 18:03
Yes these would be fillet weld repairs.  Would I just do a WPS for a GTAW fillet with the square tubing to plate and a round tube to plate.  Or could I cut up a rail and mok actual joint set up then cut it apart and etch the fillets to verify a proper penetration and use those results in my PQR?  Figure 4.19 says I have to do a fillet weld on plate.
     One more question.  When qualifying a fillet weld WPS, do you need to run a butt weld test plate with the same material that you will be using in the fillet test first so you can get results for mechanical testing?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-16-2008 18:02
4.19 refrences table 4.11 which lists figure 4.37 (06) from what i see.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 05-19-2008 12:06 Edited 05-19-2008 12:12
I understand how to qualify a fillet WPS, but I could of sworn I read somewhere that you also need to qualify the materials you will be welding on.  So what you're saying is I can do the fillet WPS tests with some A36 sheet material then, even though the ladder is fabricated from 8 other different types of steel?  This still does not even apply to what I'm trying to accomplish either.  I'm doing TIG dressing of a fillet weld.  Maybe it is as easy as welding some ladder rung material to a piece of plate and then dressing around the edges of the weld with the TIG.  Then do a macro etch to ensure good fusion and call it a day.  It just sounds to simple compared to all the other hoops you have to jump through to get other things qualified.  Thanks for your Help Hogan!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Tig dressing WPS and PQR.