Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weld deposit
- - By knhwang Date 07-03-2001 12:58
I want to konw real meanining of "weld deposit"
According to the spec., chemical composition of weld depositi is restricted. As we can see in common welding rod catalogue, chemical compositionis designated as weld deposit compotion.
So, we can estimate that the means of weld deposit is melted welding rod. therefore the chemcal composition of weld deposit is nearlly same with that of welding rod.
If above estimation is wright, I want to know references says the exact meaning of weld deposit.
please let me know the exact meaning of "weld deposit" and references says the definition.
thank you.
Parent - By Niekie Date 07-03-2001 14:42
My understanding of the term has always been that it is the part of the "weld" where actual melting of the material has occured. I could however not find an official definition for "weld deposit". ASME IX does however define "Weld metal". To my understanding, this is an analogous term. Their definition of "weld metal" is:

"Metal in a fusion weld consisting of that portion of the base metal and filler metal melted during welding."

Anybody else out there with another code that has an answer that is closer?

Hope it helps

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Jorge Giraldo (**) Date 07-06-2001 02:59
In the AWS A3.0-94 Standard Welding Terms and Definitions I found the following for WELD METAL:
"The portion of a fusion weld that has been completely melted during welding"
I think it is the same ASME definition given by Nieke.

In the same reference, I found this definition for DEPOSITED METAL (for welding, brazing and Soldering):
"Filler metal that has been added during welding, brazing or soldering"
The chemical compositions given by filler metals producers concern to the Deposited Metal without any Dilution.

In the Metals Handbook Vol. 6 Welding, Brazing and Soldering, the definition given for DEPOSITED METAL is: Filler metal that has been added during a welding operation. Basically the same of AWS´s definition.

I can't find nothing about WELD DEPOSITED, then I think is a non standard term or a bad "jargon" term used in the welding Industrie in your country. I suggest you a meeting with the specifications writer (may be the owner of the project) and discuss what is the real meaning of this term according what they really want. When you know, clearly, what they want you can fulfill their requirements.

Jorge Giraldo
Medellín, Colombia
Parent - By dong won oh (*) Date 07-07-2001 00:00
From terminology point of view, we can say deposit metal is just from welding consumable(very similar to the data from catalogue). Weld metal, however, contains diluted from base metal(See AWS Standard Welding Terms and Definitions, Figure 20(G)). You may put "weld deposit" on the same line with "deposit metal".

However, from welding eningeering point of view, weld deposit and deposit metal have no meaning. Weld metal properties depend on the weld metal which is totally different from the weld metal used for catalogue of welding consumable maker.
Welding consumable maker uses all weld metal deposit test which has very small dilution ratio.

Following points should be considered to see the gap between deposit metal and weld metal;
1) dilution ratio
2) welding conditons, such as welding voltage
3) welding gas

Dong Won Oh
South Korea

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weld deposit