Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Spool Gun
- - By grab24you Date 05-17-2008 01:23
What were spool guns specifically desighned for?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-17-2008 02:21
Welding.  (Sorry - couldn't resist working on my 3000 posts)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-17-2008 02:55
Good one. (Me too)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-17-2008 02:52
At the risk of what might be doing homework for You [a NO NO on this forum]: spool guns are mainly used for MIG welding aluminum or other soft wires that don't push well through a MIG gun conduit. You can use them for any GMAW process You want to, they are easily  portable and changing between wire types & sizes is pretty simple and fast. The limiting factors are the small spool and the overall bulk of the unit when compaired to a push gun. A spool gun with a 50' cable & hose set alows You to work over a large area of a truck, trailer or boat without dragging a lot of gear with You.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-17-2008 14:43 Edited 05-17-2008 14:54
OOh!  Do I detect a bit of sarcasm in here?  If so, then touche' - my post was sarcastic too.  If I did not, then this is to clarify the 'ban' on "doing your homework for you".

I think most folks have gone above and beyond on numerous occasions in trying to be helpful with requests for information (excluding smart-aleck responses like mine of course).  Many folks on this forum open the code books, read up on the topic, and then provide an accurate response to questions.  Some have obviously gone to extraordinary time and effort in doing so (a quick review of the overall forum supports that).

Naturally, anyone responding to a poster runs the risk of providing erroneous information. Either through ignorance (just didn't realize) or through error - honest mistakes to be sure, but it happens.  That is often why folks with questions are pointed towards where to look for their info rather than trying to provide a 'doctoral thesis' on the question.  ( I often do not respond because anything I might have to add would pale in comparison)

On occasion, a poster sounds like a high school student that doesn't want to 'bother' to do his/her own research.  I don't want to do the "work" for him, however I am glad to point out where to get the information -if I know where.  But as we all know, some information takes a bit of digging to get.  Maybe I'm regarded as selfish in saying this but I had to earn my grades; they should earn theirs too.

Other information is just too simple to find.  I typed "spool gun" into Google and got immediate results.  I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone in saying this - sometimes we all overlook the obvious - but some questions are a bit like asking the wife to get up and change the channel when I have a functioning remote in my hand.

(grab24you had asked several other question on related topics.  I may be mistaken but I figured he had pretty much gotten the answer sorted out through those other responses.)

Have a fine weekend.  (Mine is great so far - the predicted rain has not happened yet so maybe I can go "hay" my lawn.) [Uh-oh! Too late!  I knew I had precrastinated for good reason.]
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Spool Gun