Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / contractors that hire felons
- - By Mr.Sparks (*) Date 05-18-2008 00:21
Hello all,
I have been looking for workas as a welder and have hit a couple of brickwalls.
I was convicted of a felony about ten years ago only trouble i've ever been in
just thought someone might have some insight as to any employers that
will give me a chance
I live in jacksonville fl Iam willing  to travel or relocate
thanks in advance
earl
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-18-2008 01:59
Most of your heavy steel fabricators could care less. I know guys who have a felony who have passed the coast guard and ICE background checks for working in ports. On you application DO NOT LIE!. If you have a convictions. admit it, put down what happened and dont bring it up. IIf it has been 10 years ago as you say, this will be a non issue. It MAY and I do mena MAY keep you from working on certian areas on military bases, but I now guys who have a heavy feloney in their background who work on Military bases.
Wha will limit you faces you every morning when you brush your teeth!
BABRT's
Parent - - By Billyjoe (***) Date 05-18-2008 03:41
come to texas or out west if you can pass a welding test they will put you to work ,
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-18-2008 14:04
I agree with Billyjoe. If you can pass the test, you usually work.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-18-2008 14:38
Mr. Sparks,
  Everybody makes mistakes in life. While it is true that they do follow you to an extent, if you learn from your mistakes and improve yourself by doing so, you are indeed a better person for it.

Making mistakes is part of life. Learning from them is key to ones advancement.

This said, be honest but do not talk about anything not asked.

Most employers understand, and only care about it if you hide it or lie about it.

One of the instances that I can think of that might hinder ones chances for employment would be a driving offense resulting in a felony. If the company needs to cover your vehicle on site or has to put you in a company vehicle or rental, your driving record will almost always be evaluated. If the insurance company says no, you will most likely not be hired.

Good luck in your future,
John
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 05-18-2008 17:17
Try the Boilermakers Union.  A felony conviction is a resume enhancement.  I'm not kidding.
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 05-18-2008 20:14
I no TIC doesnt care I no several who has done alot of work for them. They have records aslong as they are tall. I no one did 10 years in the pen for a felony. I no a couple 798 that have felonys
Parent - - By Mr.Sparks (*) Date 05-18-2008 22:33
Thanks everyone
I'm always honest about it just seems it is getting harder and harder every year to get past it.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-19-2008 14:00
Yeah man, I think a felony is a requirement of most of the trades.;-)  Half the guys I worked with in the fitters all have done time.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 05-19-2008 14:10
Talk to Sourdough, I'm sure he can put you to work being there himself.  :)
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 05-19-2008 14:24
I don't have a problem hiring a convicted felon, as long as he didn't go to jail for beating up his supervisor.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-20-2008 03:28
God point.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 05-20-2008 05:14 Edited 05-20-2008 05:28
Mr. Sparks,
I wouldn't worry about it so very much. I have a felony conviction that is 14 yrs in the past. I also am currently taking an advanced GMAW course "ON-POST" at The U.S. Army Arsenal in my home town. This is a Post where they make Military weapons. All participants had their names and S.S.#'s submitted to the Post command center. If they had a problem with my past ( and that's what it is ...my past ) I wouldn't have been permitted to be on Base. The Army Arsenal is taking on weldors directly from this course.
You are in an advantageous position at present. This is a great time to be in the welding trade, as so many weldors want to retire out, and can't because there is a shortage of trained tradesmen. Be up-front with propective employers, but don't feel as though you need to go into a long narrative about the particulars. Simply answer only what they ask of you...no more, but no less. If they ask on the app. if you have been convicted of a felony in the past 7 yrs, or 10yrs if that's the question, and it has been longer than that since your conviction...answer NO. You have not lied to them in that instance.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady

PS> To all the fine folks that I have have great respect for, and have developed a good raport with,...Please think no less of me for being tranparent in this post. Mr. Sparks needs to know how to negotiate this obstacle.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-21-2008 04:24
  Jeffery, I have no ill feelings toward anyone who has mended their ways. Of course I feel a bit differently about those who won't or can't.

I can honestly say that some things My friends and I did in the past, and they were only misdemeanors then if We would have been caught, are probably fellonys now. But We all grew up OK, and keep Our noses cleen now.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-21-2008 04:49
Hello Dave, as a welding instructor at a public educational institution I see many different types of folks from all walks of life. Many of these individuals are on various programs that are attempting to make a change in their lives for the better. I believe the key to all of this is to understand that these folks, in most instances, are people just like you and me and they didn't set out in life to become drug addicts, felons, or have any other issues that brought them down. I do feel fortunate to say that a large share of these individuals have come through our programs and done well for themselves, I don't say this to give myself a pat on the back, but more so to say that through hard work and commitment on their part and the help and support of a host of other folks, family, friends, case workers, judges, and any number of others, they have been able to transition back to the positive side of society. I feel the trades portion of our society has been the most accepting of these folks. My $.02 Best regards, Allan

Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-21-2008 05:59
    Allan, I believe Your observation is acurate, the ones who do get their lives turned around work hard at it and deserve the credit for the acomplishment. A program like Yours that enables an individual to make an honest living goes along way with the ones who have the commitment and support they need.

I know 2 guys who killed their wives, one from when I was a kid in church & Cubscouts [I had lost contact with Him years before He did it] and another, a friend of a friend who has done His time and has been out for many years. The first can not seem to reform Himself, My feeling is that He has some underlying mental issues. The other is dooing OK, but comments that the prison system does nothing to help with the reform process.
Parent - By mechan (**) Date 05-21-2008 23:26
Probably would run into trouble with a Nuke or if you go to a place that requires their civilian techs to get a Secret or up Sec Clearance (if you're trying to work for the .gov in aircraft or whatever). Alot of normal construction companies that aren't performing work in critical areas don't really seem to care about past or CURRENT convictions, if they are a rat out fit they definatly don't seem to care. I know a chick who was arrested out side the gate at a job site and the company brought her back as soon as so gets out, haha :D I guess she must of been a cracker jack welder who knows. Good luck with the search.
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 05-30-2008 04:48
Don't worry too much. Be honest on your application.

The CIA recruits people from Leavenworth. Things have changed since I was in the Army.

They have 1 of 2 choices. Employ you or make you disgruntled. We all know what disgruntled leads too. Not good.
Parent - By Billyjoe (***) Date 06-01-2008 03:27
it might be you looking in the wrong place to work , stop all that crying an go get a job , shop don't like felons, work out in the feild pipewelding,,, ironworkers,, shut downs ,,if you set on you a-hole an fell sorry for yourself you never
going to get a job , people that say that they can't do something ,they are the one at the head of the welfare line,
I have a felon on me ,I never have a hard time getting work ,BECAUSE I A DAM GOOD WELDER ,Like I said quick felling SORRY for youself an get off your a-hole an get to work.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / contractors that hire felons