Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa-200 problem
- - By philgood (*) Date 05-18-2008 15:39
i just recently purchased a 79 chevy with 2 sa 200's sitting on the back of it for $2k. Not sure of the year yet but one has the round armture with post on the face. Not sure how long they been sitting up but the tags on the truck are from 2000. Got the one with round armature running and boy does it run great and welds great, at least it burns 7018's great anyway. Now for 6010's it is breaking arc,tried cleaning exciter and commutator with stone but still doing the same. Does anyone know what may be causing this?
Parent - - By banshee35 (**) Date 05-18-2008 17:24
what do you have the machine set on? what size rods are you runnin'?  If you got some 1/8 6010's, put the machine on 190 and 55 and see how it burns.
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-18-2008 21:38
Thanks for your reply banshee. I have tried burning 6010's 1/8's on 190 & 50 which seems to do pretty good but i think thats gonna be a little on the hot side for running a bead. I turned it down to 40 and thats when i started having problems. It seems the hotter i run the better it does which is not good if i need to run colder
Parent - - By banshee35 (**) Date 05-18-2008 23:00
hmmm.. every machine is different. I normally run beads with mine set on 190/45-60, depending on gap and pipe diameter. try it on the 130 range and 65-70, and see what happens. they are pretty close amp wise, but ocv is higher with the 130 range, it may help against snuffing out.
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-19-2008 01:08
thanks for that information, tomorrow i will try that range and see how that works. By the way, do you know of any contractors hiring rig welders for plant work or anything other than downhill pipe. Been welding tig and uphill in plants since 92 but practicing downhill now.Any info will be greatly appreciated
Parent - - By banshee35 (**) Date 05-19-2008 01:12
where are you located? I know of a contactor aout 20 miles from me who has several welders at a sister refinery. running tig and up/downhill stick pipe welding. They're doing an expansion.
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-19-2008 01:16
i'm about 80 miles or so east of baton rouge or about 20 miles north of slidell la. if you know where that is. I don't mind traveling if the money is pretty good or if there is per diem
Parent - - By banshee35 (**) Date 05-19-2008 01:22
cool. I'm up in North LA, work at a local refinery about 5 minutes from home. Reynolds is the contractor I was talking about, with alot of work going on at Calumet in Shreveport. I don't know what the pay is and I don't know if there is any per diem. I wish I knew more to help ya out about the pay rate. reynolds' phone # is: (318)377-2289 hope this helps.
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-19-2008 01:27
that is great i really appreciate that information. Maybe i can return the favor someday. Thanks
Parent - - By banshee35 (**) Date 05-19-2008 20:58
hey man, let me know what you find out.
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-20-2008 01:39
may not be putting out all 1550 rpm's,not sure yet but still working with it.Got to figure out how to check that. Does good on 190 and 55 but any colder than that those 6010's just wanna break arc. Also called reynolds but only needing fitters right now
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-25-2008 21:26
philgood I see you're from picayune Ms. ?? You're just north of me I'm in Covington Louisiana

Chris
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-25-2008 21:59
Hey Chris. Yes, it seems we are very close neighbors indeed. I also have a bro-n-law that is a pipe welder that lives right there by you in goodbee. Do you work local?
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-26-2008 00:41
no sh*t well I was working at ALLPAX as a pipe welder there in Goodbee well on the boarder of goodbee and covington I quit there about a month ago took a vacation to Colorado to clear my head and just got back today and am now going for a weld test in Slidell tomorrow I don't think it is pipe welding but I'll take it if I can learn more about blue print reading and fitting. Can I ask where does your brother-n-law work as a pipe welder? I'm always wanting to find out about places around here to work because there really isn't much unless you go into New Orleans. I was hoping to find work in Colorado and really didn't see much I think it's more booming here in Louisiana and probally texas.
Hows it up there in your area?

Chris
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-26-2008 13:07
There's not much happening here unless you go about another 80 miles east to chevron in pascagoula ms. My bro-n-law has a rig truck and is working in mobile ala. I had been trying to find out about colorado myself, i though it might be a good place to go work to beat this heat. I have a rig truck as well and i'm trying to find some work right now. Do you know if they are needing another welder in slidell, that would only be 20 minutes away for me
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-26-2008 14:49
I've seen a few rig welders around here actually seen about 5 maybe and was thinking maybe things are starting to pick up here or around here. Well My brother-n-law he has a brother in Colorado that works as a engineer around the oil fields he told me that west Colorado is booming and that maybe in another few months there would be welding jobs popping up. He said what there in need of is ruffnecks there making about 25 an hour but I've heard bad things about that, that is a really dangerous job actually this guy who is a engineer had a guy get killed on his rig this week so yeah don't think I want to do that. I was thinking the same thing to try and get outta this dam heat h*ll at night there in Evergreen Colorado it was sometimes 40 and 31 degrees so yeah I was hoping to find something at least for the summer there winters are to cold I lived up there about 3 years and don't know how the hell I did it. A website you may want to check out is the Louisiana department of Labor I was pretty impressed of how many jobs there was on there for welders but for me it was tough finding something because I don't have alot of experience. They want people with years of experience but if I don't get this job today then I'm gonna start applying for all these places and see what happens and you can do the same thing with Colorado go to there department opf labor site as well. I'll find out if this place needs more welders when i go today. Crap I gotta go.

Chris
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-26-2008 16:55
Im gonna check out that site. Good luck with the test
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-26-2008 17:28
well I went there and didn't test because they were having power problems and hell I didn't even test yet but the guy was talking about hourly pay so yeah before I was even going to get the job he was basically telling me how much I was gonna make which was like 11 an hour so yeah I won't be going back there. That agravates me because on the add it was much much more. I really don't like people lieing to me I'm very honest and upfront with people wheather I get the job or not I don't like lieing so yeah I won't be back there. I feel you can't talk about pay with me until you see me test you know?

Chris
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-26-2008 18:45
Sorry to hear that. They should stick to what they said they were gonna pay. I know there is no possible way i could make it on $11 hr. myself. I think i might go back out to chevron with performance. Pay is $29 hr. and $80 a day per diem. It's a long drive but i guess it won't be to bad. It's also in the coker unit which i ain't to crazy about either, but at least it's a job til i can find something for my rig
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-26-2008 19:58
yeah I'm getting pretty desperate now. When I was in school I worked some at a papermill in Bogalusa and I really didn't like it but hell I'm gonna try and give these people a call tomorrow and see what I can find out. I'm ready to travel if I can make more. The ad was for 14-17 an hour which isn't much but would have worked for me to learn more, if I could get 16 or 17 but 11-12 an hour just isn't gonna cut it with gas so high now. How do you get on with Chevron? and how far is it from you??
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-26-2008 20:24
Call Turner industries in baton rouge, they are hiring at chevron in pasc., ms.
Parent - By philgood (*) Date 05-26-2008 20:38
I'm suppose to be on a job at shell in norco sometime this week with turner but i'm looking elsewhere since it is going to be nights. Performance has taken over most of turners work out at chevron , at least thats what i've been hearing from people thats out there now
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-26-2008 20:33
Yeah Chris, i know what you mean about those gas prices. They saying on tv that gas will be up to $5 a gallon by thanksgiving holiday. I sure hope wages will go up some
Parent - - By philgood (*) Date 05-27-2008 00:14
Hey Chris. Here are some #'s you might be interested in. These are #'s for jobs out at chevron, pascagoula. Performance (mobile # 251-957-1111 / baton rouge# 225-490-2000) is mostly hiring out of mobile office. Turner's # is 225-357-9395. Best of luck!
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-27-2008 04:34
Thanks guys yeah it's worth looking into at this point. I'm gonna check out a few places I found in the Sundays paper. 5 dollars a gallon is crazy but I'm sure it will be more and yeah the sad thing is I don't see this pay going up really at all people just don't care.
Thanks
Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa-200 problem