Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / More cert questions
- - By Ryan Breuhan Date 05-19-2008 02:39
Hello, new to the site and have a question and couldn't find a clear cut answer. I have been in welding and metal fabrication for about 14 years (high school included). I have no real training training in it other than the 2 years of classes in high school. Work has been real slow for about the past year and we are currently looking to try and expand into welding for the Department of Defense. We currently have a contact person for that and we were told if we were certified we could get work. Looking through the site here for a while I have come to the conclusion that no matter what certs you have you will be tested by the company you would get the P.O. from. Is there a Military standard as far as welding ballistics or armor plate. I would like to look it over to see what is needed for me to practice and to see whats expected as far as testing. Thanks in advance, Ryan
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-19-2008 14:53
Here is the code you might want to research if you are to be welding on armored vehicles. https://aais.ria.army.mil/aais/padds_web/W52H0908R0048/attach_exhib/att2.pdf  It will come up as this site is unsecure, but it is ok to access it.  It's the whole Tacom Cage code for armored ground combat vehicles in a PDF format.  Print it out and go through it. 
     When your contact person says that you must be certified in order to get any work, he is not really telling you much.  What code are you or your company supposed to be certified to.  When you get a purchase order from a contractor you need to show them that you have certified guys making their parts if they require your guys to even be certified.  If you tell a contractor that you abide to AWS D1.1 structural steel code(for example) and they decide to go with you because you abide to D1.1, you must show documentation proving it.  Again, only if they require it.  When you say that you have read that no matter what cert you have, you still need to test when you come into a company.  What that means is, that welders even though they may carry a cert, sometimes a company will still want them to take a test so they can be kept track of under their records.  Most of the time a welder cert is good to get your foot in the door only to take another test.  Tests cost money, so who would you want to hire to take one of your tests, a guy with no certs ever or a guy that has already got one in the test you are about to give?  Hope this kind of helps ya out.  I'm sure more people will chime in to give you even more feedback.  And when you say, we are currently looking to expand and do some work for the Deparment of Defense, I assume you mean your company.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 05-27-2008 05:33
Kix,
I stumbled across this thread, and I am greatful I did! I opened the link and copied it to disc. it will come in very handily for me as i will be seeking a position at the Rock Island Arsenal. They build Armored vehicles and various Armaments, and they are hiring civilian weldors.
Great post and thanks for the link.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-27-2008 12:35
Glad it helped somebody.;-)  I don't think he came back in here to check if he got ant responses.
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 05-28-2008 04:48
Nope, He never did come back as of yet. it was his first post.

Some of the guys in my Arsenal welding class were very interested in a copy of that code, so i took the liberty of Emailing it to them along with a 2006 copy of the D1.1 so they can become aquainted with the various requirements of welding in a DOD specific field.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / More cert questions