Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Rig Questions?
- - By Alex Breuer Date 05-19-2008 17:00
Hello everyone I am from Minnesota. I'm a  welding student and also working as a welder and loving every minute of it. My all time goal is to own my own rig and start a small business or be a sub-contractor. I worked as a pipeline laborer and liked the pipe welding field. But any kind of construction welding is interesting, it is nice to be outside. Anyways Would someone give me a very rough estimate on the price of all the welding equipment you will need to do such a thing. I mean everything from a welder to hand tools. I know it may be a tough question but if you could give me an estimate that would be helpful. i already own the truck so thats a start! The only other thing is that i would like to post is how would a guy find someone in the field that owns their own rig  to learn from ??? is it something to post and ask. I wouldnt expect pay i just would like to ask a questions and get behind the helmet with them for  awhile to. if theres anyone out there from minnesota looking for a free gopher for a couple weeks im your man. All I ask is to be able to ask questions and get behind the helmet if possible. thanks Alex   
Parent - - By tnhnt (***) Date 05-20-2008 02:52 Edited 05-20-2008 02:55
15 grand for welder and misc. hand tools, torch and regulators. Buy a new machine instead of a old one. That way you don't have to work on it and spend a bunch of time looking for and replacing parts on it and knowing that it will start everytime you pull up on a job!!!
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 05-20-2008 02:58
15 grand might buy you a machine but you will have more than that tied up in misc. tools.
Parent - By stanantonio Date 05-20-2008 03:13
try closer to 30 to 40k to subcontract 14 will barely get u started.  It cost me 14k a year just for my insurance.
Parent - By am0resperr0s1 (*) Date 05-20-2008 05:46
Alex, You could get great deals on a used machine!   I'd say 7-9 grand will do it!
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-20-2008 12:55
Alex, give me a call. I don't necessarily want to sell you anything, but could offer some help & point you in a few different directions. Just a thought. Steve 517 202 0314
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Rig Questions?