Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Needin a little input bout Miller Pro 300
- - By WELDINROPER (*) Date 05-19-2008 17:06
Hey boys and girls whatsssupp.  I'm goin to go look at a Miller Pro 300 that is a 2003 model with only 300 hours on it and has been kept inside for the last year and a half and the guy has only used it a handful of times.  I was wondering is there gonna be any huge problems I should be ready for?  I know it's not much info, will know more in a couple days just trying to be ready.  I run a Trailblazer 302 now and like it pretty good, just was thinkin about upgrading a little or if its a to good of a deal if ya get my meanin.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 05-19-2008 19:17
I have one myself. It is outstanding on fuel I can run 8 hours on a little over a gallon of diesel in the 100 - 120 amp range welding pipe corrals. It does take a little getting used to. I have several sa200's, they practically weld by themselves compared to the 300. Rod angle is much more important with the 300. You really have to stay after it, it also has a very aggressive dig, I think. I generally run in b even with 5p rods, you will leave some hellacious wagon tracks in the d setting. It will also long arc like no machine I have ever used, when you go to pull away on a root you can't mess around, it will arc better than an inch, real easy. You have to plunge and pull pretty quick , whipping the rod away will get you in trouble if you are pipelining.  Fuel savings alone would justify it if you use it alot. Like I said earlier though it will make you work the rod a little more than you may be used to. 
Parent - By 1mancrew (**) Date 05-27-2008 00:36
I know I'm weighing in a little late on this one; been up to my arse in it latley.
I've had the pro 300 for a couple of years now and love mine. As Rio said it is unbeleivabley good on fuel. On Millers info regarding the Pro 300 they say they are designed to go for 10k hrs before any major service is required. I've got just short of 3k on mine so, we'll see.

I also agree the settings took a little getting used to but now that i'm more familiar with it it's kind of hard to imagine switching back to something else. I usually run my 5p in the "C" range and come to think of it I am probably there 75% of the time for everything 7018 or 6010.

Only trouble I had with mine was a weird stalling problem it developed a couple of months ago. First thought it was a fuel filter but it turns out to have been a faulty hour meter. This is where the low oil and high temp switches converge so something shorted out in there. Miller was very helpful in diagnosing the problem, always available with just a phone call and, of course, sent out the parts free of charge. I now have a machine with roughly 3k hrs on it but reads only 150 hrs. I wonder if that means the warranty starts all over again?!?! Hmmmmmm?

GH Weidman
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Needin a little input bout Miller Pro 300