Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / lead reels close to machine
- - By usmc gremlin Date 05-19-2008 18:12 Edited 05-20-2008 02:10
i am planning to fab up some lead reels using some front wheel drive hub assemblies. i want to mount them on my miller tb302. i am worried about the electromagnetic pulse and the electronics of the machine. i have a roll cage around the machine that i can mount to and the reel spools are going to be made out of stainless.  But i would like to mount them in the front of the machine and i am concerned about messing up my machine. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in this area
Parent - - By usmcgremlin Date 05-23-2008 02:56
i guess not!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-23-2008 04:35
Hello usmcgremlin, the majority of my portable experience has been gleaned from the old school welders without all of the whistles and bells of many of the newer machines. So no firsthand experience here. Yet, if you research some of the archives from the forum regarding lead reels you may find some information that somewhat addresses your question. Depending upon whom you listen to you may hear comments that address welding while leads are coiled or still rolled on spools. Possible arc-blow issues have been experienced by some as these coils of welding lead can set up areas of magnetic field or flux, pardon my terminology. Inductance can possibly come into play and cause heating issues in certain cases when leads are left coiled while welding is taking place. It is likely that my reply here will get the ball rolling again on this topic for you as there are differing views by different people in this regard. So don't give up yet and stay tuned for other responses. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By usmcgremlin Date 05-23-2008 12:58
Thank you very much i have searched some of the archives which is the reason for the question. i think i might also call Miller and see what they say.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-23-2008 13:32
usmcgremlin,
  I am a little suprised by the lack of input to your question. I thought for sure this would generate many useful replys. I would suggest shouting out too Ksellon, as she may be able to help and may have missed this one. She is IMHO, the equivalant of our welding machine "Wonder Woman". She works "wonders" and some of us "wonder" why she does it at times because her knowledge and experiance is invaluable, yet she gives it so freely, even in the face of adversity.

Good luck,
John
Parent - - By usmc gremlin Date 05-23-2008 19:02 Edited 05-23-2008 19:51
JRW, i did call miller then went to bills site found the #and then called Kaye. Both of them said the same thing, that it should not hurt the machine. that was my biggest concern. as for the arc characteristics if i need to un spool i can cross that bridge when i get there. Thanks for the help
p.s. also aevald thank you as well.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-23-2008 19:48
Anytime. :-)
Parent - - By JHarlos (**) Date 05-30-2008 03:35
you need a remote for that thing, they are not hard nor expensive to build your self.  a few parts from miller and it simple
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-30-2008 03:44
J-ROD,
  You replyed to me (jrw159) and I am sure that sooner or later Gremlin will run across this reply, It is best to reply to the intended recipiant rather than the last post in line. That way Gremlin will get the notification.

BTW I do not mind the notifications I just hope that it effects the ones intended as well as provideing me with the advancement in knowledge.

Best wishes,
John
Parent - By usmc gremlin Date 05-31-2008 00:45
i have one in the works and i sent u a e-mail      later
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / lead reels close to machine