Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Just a quick question about D1.1 exam.....
- - By flamin (**) Date 05-21-2008 16:05
Good day gents-

When tabbing the code book (D1.1) for the CWI exam, would it be beneficial to tab the commentary C-1 through C-8? I noticed there isn't a table of contents for each section of the commentary. Eventually I will do that just for my own thing, but in regards to the CWI exam, is it necessary. Is it common to have to reference the commentary for the test?

Thanks
Jason
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-21-2008 16:08
i just tabbed the start of the commentary
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 05-21-2008 20:10
Highlight a lot - Tab a little  
Don't get carried away with lots of tabs, they will get in the way.
Don't tab the bottom portion of your code, that is where you can grab & flip through the pages quickly.
No loose papers inserted in your code book.
No written questions with answers in the margins.

Here are a couple of links for tips.

http://files.aws.org/certification/it_article_fall03.pdf

http://files.aws.org/certification/it_article_sum02.pdf
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 05-21-2008 20:39
Thanks guys!!

Jason
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 05-22-2008 12:35
The tabs I used, I could grab them and pull the book open with them.  They came in very handy and are still being used today.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-22-2008 14:06
I did tab the main sections of the book that I used when I took the exam...but that is the only book that I bothered to do this way...I have 5 more newer editions of the same book and I didn't tab any of them for everyday use. The point I guess that I'm aiming at is that you simply need to be very familiar with where every thing is in that book from cover to cover, so that when you are under the gun to look these questions up, you don't waste time looking in the wrong places while running those references.

memorize the sections of that book...know basically what each section talks about....look at the question and ask yourself "what is the question asking about"....turn to the section that deals with the question being asked.....read ALL of the paragraph, table, figure......take notice of any of the footnotes that apply and read them fully.

Good Luck!
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-22-2008 13:15
I do things differently but I would read over the Commentary to make sure I understand what it is telling me and how it applies to the rest of the code.  Then I would forget about it for the test.  I might be mistaken but I believe the questions are directly answered in the main portion of D1.1.
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 05-22-2008 13:38
Just tabbed or flagged the start of the eight sections.  Remember the titles to each section.  It will help you pick out key words in the question.  From those key words figure out which section is best suited for the question.

If all else fails, resort to the index.  Use key words then determine which section could possibly be the right choice.

Best thing to do is practice, familiarize yourself with the code.  Getting too many tabs and flags, will only make it more cumbersome as you navigate the applicable code.

Good Luck, and happy hunting.....
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-23-2008 01:25
All the examination questions require an answer from the body of D1.1, nothing from the commentary or the annex.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 05-23-2008 17:57
I would advise checking out the commentary...as it can sure help understand some things.

For example:
Take a look at the '06 AWS D1.1 par. 5.23.8.

"For welded beams or girders, the combined warpage and tilt of flange shall be determined by measuring the offset at the toe of the flange from a line normal to the plane of the welb through the intersection of the centerline of the web with the outside surface of the flange plate.  This offset shall not exceed 1% of the total flange width or 1/4" whichever is greater."

When I read the above out loud to the guys in the shop...they tilt their head and kinda look at me funny.

Now take a look at the commentary Fig. C-5.7, pg 453.  That one sketch in the commentary is all the shop guys needed to make that Code section a lot more understandable.
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 05-23-2008 18:19
Good points, thanks everyone.

Jason
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Just a quick question about D1.1 exam.....