Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Watch your step
- - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-21-2008 16:28
The high price of steel is the driving force behind these thefts?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/137822
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-21-2008 17:05
.....and they will also steal grease of all things.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_...20171409990001
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 02:29
:-)
Parent - - By ziggy (**) Date 05-27-2008 19:35
My father had a supply of lead that he used for casting bullets for reloading. After he passed away we eventually gathered up the lead and took it to a recycler in the area. The first trip went without any problem. The second trip (just a few months later) I had to let them photo copy my driver's license before they would process anything. They told me it was a new law to try and prevent thieves from recycling stolen material. Wonder if they have ever caught anyone?

Then there was the time we had a foreman's rig stolen from his driveway. It was completely outfitted for steel erection work. When the police recovered the truck several months later, guess what? You got it, not even the doors were left on the thing! We should probably have checked ebay for someone selling "like new" welding equipment!

ziggy
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-27-2008 19:49
In Jacksonville they are trying to pass a city ordanance that would make it so only "liscensed" recyclers could sell "scrap".  The permit is supposed to cost around $500.  It is supposed to eliminate theft of copper form new construction and air-conditioners etc...They say it will hurt the small time recyclers and homeless people who collect cans.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 05-27-2008 22:35
The same thing is being done in Oklahoma also.  They have not thought of prosecuting the theives. I guess that would be politically incorrect.

Griff
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-27-2008 23:35
When it comes to the manhole covers I say prosecute everyone from the man who sells it to the man who buys it!

Who the He** sells manhole covers? The thieves that stole them.

Who the He** buys manhole covers? Unscrupulous scrapyards.

My opinion-If you are caught with a manhole cover and you are not an employee of the city that has a legitimate reason to be in possesion of said cover, your a** is grass.

If someone comes to your scrap yard trying to sell manhole covers and you do not notify the authorities, you are guilty of receiving stolen goods and should be prosecuted as such. Cut and dry.

I feel that the people who buy these are more criminalistic than the "crack head" that stole it. There is no way you could poasibly justify the purchase of these items without the city being involved.

Just my opinion.

jrw159
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 05-28-2008 00:43
That is the way it is with railroad items like rail and plate. Scrap yerds are supposed to say "no".
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 02:29
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-28-2008 03:45
     A cousin of Mine had an old city storm sewer grate given to Him by a friend in construction. It has the city & street names cast int it, presumably so it could be tracked down if it showed up at a scrap yard. I am not going to say where it resides presently, but it is still a storm water grate.

When We were kids, we would grab up manhole covers and play tiddly winks with them... :-)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 03:53
Dave,
In my mind that is acceptable. I am sure you can atest to the fact that your cousin does not "aquire" several of these in a weeks time and most likely "aquired" this from someone who had the right to "give" it as you said.

I was also guilty of the "removal" of certain "roadway accessories" as a kid, and not that it makes it any more right, it was not for profit and never to the extent to be a danger to the public. LOL :-)

JMO

John
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-29-2008 05:44 Edited 05-31-2008 05:04
Actually the "tiddly winks with manhole coveres" was a joke Our grade school gym teacher would pull on us. Of course We never actually had to DO it.
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 05-28-2008 05:26
Kind of like milk-crates?
I couldn't agree more.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 02:29
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-28-2008 04:02
Seems to me the deterrent is best spent on scrap yard owners. If they lack the will to buy stolen metal then the thieves will turn to other lucrative activities. Like working.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 04:07
BINGO!!!
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 05-31-2008 02:31
In Mid Ohio railroad people come through junkyards looking for railroad iron. Was told it's a federal penality.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-06-2008 14:08
We had a major problem with stolen tooling at work.  Our orbital welding collets are solid copper and run about $500 each with machining costs included.  Some butthead stole ALL our copper tooling as well as about $2000 worth of raw copper stock from our tooling shop.  The worst part is it takes up to 3 months to get collet tooling made due to the backlog.  Our orbital tooling supports about $13M a month in parts business!  That is what we get for depressing wages down to $9 an hour for some workers, but I have to ask:  Does a dog bite the hand that feeds it?  Now, all our tooling is under lock and key, and we have to hunt for someone with the key everytime we set up a job.  More delays.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-06-2008 14:46
All to often a dog will bite the hand that feeds it regardless of how well or poor the feed is.

It is sad, but if it has value, you better lock it up or it will grow legs and be gone like a fart in the wind.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-07-2008 00:26
I worked for a Styrofoam cup manufacturer in the tool room for three years. This lathe hand in the machine shop got busted stealing, of all things...Paper towels & gloves. He had worked there for about 7 years. Needless to say, he got his walking papers. Of all the valuable things there to steal......Welcome to the dumb crook lineup! :-) S.W.

"That drunken S.O.B. would steal just about anything that wasn't bolted to the floor. And if it was, he'd bring a wrench." Dave Miner, regarding Jack Jackson & his perpetual theft of Company property, The Corridor.)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-07-2008 04:30
   At the auto frame plant We had "copper" bar stock, resistance welding alloy #1 or something like that. One of the guys had aranged to take home the coffee grounds for His garden. Turns out He was hiding  a bunch of foot long lengths of the 1 1/4 x 2 1/2 "copper" in the grounds and scrapping them. The scrap yard finally reported Him. The union got His job back for Him. The guy in the tool crib on day shift was even worse, but that is another story.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-09-2008 18:39
A company I worked for hired a new lead welder, management gave him the alarm codes and keys within a few weeks of work....one of the products we made were large bronze castings for bridge bearings, well one Monday morning date of shipment for these castings we began to search the yard for 'em. We did not find them anywhere, after a day or so calls were placed to the local scrap dealers and bingo we found them ....seeing this king of "scrap" material looks just like finished product.
After a brief investigation it was realized that the welder had come in on Sunday opened up shop grabbed a fork lift loaded up the bronze and if I remember correctly was not at work or had come in late monday.
We were able to get the original sales slip from the dealer witch was either on the front seat or on the ground next to his truck. The castings were sold for scrap for 1,700.
Trust no one........................
Mike
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-09-2008 20:54
Hi Mike!

Wow!!!
What happened to the welder... err - Thief???

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-10-2008 11:17
Went back to the Dominican Republic I think.
Mike k
Parent - By bigjongpls (*) Date 06-13-2008 03:30
At my plant we were working on a 3" copper supply project.  The next day four large boxes of T's and 90's along with four sticks of 3" walked off.  Some guy probably got a few hundred dollars at a scrap yard for several thousand dollars worth of fittings and pipe.  Not to metion a great delay in the project, you just dont run to the local home depot and buy 20 3" copper T's lol.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Watch your step