Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding of aluminum-killed steel
- - By kulisic Date 07-06-2001 18:12
I am looking for information on requirements and precautions needed to weld aluminum-killed steel (hot-dip coated steel with aluminum alloy)? Any suggestions or literature to read would be usefull.
Parent - - By - Date 07-07-2001 21:17
Maybe you could re-state your question, because to my mind an aluminum killed steel is a steel where Al has been used in the steelmaking process to de-oxidize the steel. You seem to be indicating that it has something to do with a hot-dip Al coating.

Is your problem related to an Al coating on the steel, or the de-oxidation practice followed when producing the steel?

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Jorge Giraldo (**) Date 07-08-2001 16:44
I had the same problem that Nieke with this question and I want to add that is very important too to say specifically the kind of material wich you (not you, Nieke) go to weld in order to obtain specific answers by the Forum's participants; I mean, there is a lot of Aluminium killed steels each one with different weldability. It is just an advise, not a grumble.

Jorge Giraldo
MedellĂ­n, Colombia
Parent - - By kulisic Date 07-09-2001 16:34
Sorry about that!! What I meant to say is that I have an aluminum-killed steel that is post coated with an aluminum-silicon alloy!! My problem is with the Al coating on the steel.
Parent - By - Date 07-09-2001 17:59
I must confess that I have never tried to weld a steel that has an Al coating on it. Logic leads me to believe that the first step would be to remove the Al coating in the area of the weld. The best way of achieving this would be a guess on my part, so I will leave it to somebody else that has concrete experience in this field.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding of aluminum-killed steel