Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What happened, Stephan?
- - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-21-2008 20:34
Stephan,
today's Brazilian newspapers brought the new that the building of the Berlin Philarmonic Orchestra (considered the best in the world, by the way) was plagued by a fire. The papers said also that the fire originated on the roof of the building, were welding work was under way.
Could you explain us better what happened? Was the welding the real reason? 
I've got Beethoven's Ninth Symphony played by the Berlin Philarmonic conducted by Von Karajan. What a masterpiece!
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 05-21-2008 22:27
AlĂ´ Giovanni,

yes, you are right.

There was a fire which was - according to the most current information - has been caused by welding operations carried out on the structure of the main roof.

As to my best knowledge, the welding must have caused a superheating of the insulation layer between the roof's surface and the inner building's ceiling linings. Although there are still current determinations in regard to the fire's cause at present, the fire brigade experts do suppose strongly that even that was the reason. All in all it appears to be judged as careless fire-raising!

However, I have just visited the TV-News a few minutes back and the damage upon the building is not as hard as originally assumed. The responsible persons even suppose to use the building for public concerts again already in the beginning of June(!). This appears possible, amongst others, since not that much of extinguishing water has leaked through.

Nonetheless, they have to rebuild the entire roof now, which will most likely cost a few million Euros. But it could have been much worse. Thanks God no one was injured and - what was luck as well - I have seen an interview with a few members of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, who have entered the building while the fire brigade has fought the fire(!) to rescue the musical instruments of all those colleagues which were not present and who had left their instruments within the building while themselves were absent!

As they said in the interview, the instruments were priceless and irrecoverably due to their old age.

Thank you Giovanni for considering the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra as being "the best" in the world!

I truly guess that they are really one of the best in the world...

And by mentioning Herbert von Karajan. I guess there is a reason for that the Berlin Philharmonic Hall is called "Zirkus Karajani" which might be translated with "Circus Karajani" :-)

Best regards to Sao Paulo,
Stephan

P.S. I'll attach some pictures for you...
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-22-2008 08:26
AHHH!    Sad sorry to hear.

Yes folks I know it is shocking but even in the Fatherland a mistake occurs occasionally....(I bet it was Italian contractors!!!!).   Dog gone it.

Jene verdammten Italiener brannten das Musik-Haus nieder!

I am glad the instruments were saved (and no one was hurt)...I am sure there are some "Little ice age" woods in there that would be irreplaceable!!

Best Regards
Tommy
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 05-22-2008 14:49
Hey Tommy!

:-):-):-)

Better don't want to bet with you.

I am rather sure that these were German contractors thus the fire appears as having been rather "German style" and to cite one of my old instructors who always said (translated):

"Accidents do not simply occur - they are always caused!"

By the way, I have read today that they have decided to starting the concerts at the Philharmonic Hall again on June 2. :-)

Best to you,
Stephan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What happened, Stephan?