Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / wanted, reactor for miller big 40
- - By twhite Date 05-21-2008 22:18
I've got a mid 80 model miller big 40 serial #starting with je83..... and i'm almost positive that i need i reactor because it started smoking and thats what miller techs suggested if any have this item or know were i can go toget it fixed, and  info on why i have no weld output.I'm open for ideas and info
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-22-2008 12:09
Try AMI in Texas. John Bray or Sam Moorehead. 281 997 7273. Applied in TX may have it too. Larry Burross 786 629 9353. Try Kaye at Bills Welder Repair too. 405 232 4799. She knows her stuff & knows it well. All are really nice people & may be able to help. Good luck. S.W.
Parent - - By weldersales (**) Date 05-22-2008 19:04
If your reactor will heat up now and you have no output, your generator is OK and diodes are your problem most likely. You can tell in half a second if engine is under load. If so, solve that problem and then see if reactor must be replaced. We probably have it. Diodes are cheap, though. weldersales
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-22-2008 19:28
I knew you would come to the rescue, Larry. S.W.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 05-24-2008 02:51
I also have a Big40 that had my middle reactor coil smoke. It was under load and would not weld. So I tried something,I disconnected my center coil from the range selector and now it will weld,[if I remember correctly] in the upper three ranges only. This happened about 6 years ago. It`s just sitting in my pole barn now but I would like to get it fixed. Would this be the diodes or the reactor coil? I don`t know much about the insides of the welder. Thanks.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-24-2008 14:00
Actually, my Big 40 has a smoking rheostat. It does not weld very smooth either. Generates 115 VAC fine. I believe bad diodes are the culprit. I was confirmed that by a few people I talked to about it as well. Someone replaced one, as well as some other stuff inside long before I bought it. It may have not been done right, hence the rough arc & smoking rheostat. Going to tear it apart & put some time into it when I actually get time. Who knows what else I'll run into when I do. I only paid $750 for it & her 162 connie runs like a raped ape. Heck, the motor's got to be worth that. Good luck with yours NMWELDING. Weldersales has more parts for these than you could ever imagine, so if you need anything for it, he would be one to call. Kaye @ Bill's is awesome & could have parts as well. S.W.
Parent - By twhite Date 05-23-2008 01:54 Edited 05-23-2008 01:59
Thanks for the response from everyone, i really appreciate the info,I'll check those diodes and give them all a call. Surely we can get this thing fixed
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / wanted, reactor for miller big 40