Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / H
- - By fordsux8269 (**) Date 05-22-2008 22:48 Edited 06-13-2018 01:45
J
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-22-2008 23:20
Hello Corey, first off welcome to the forum. If you have had an opportunity to look around on here a bit you will realize very quickly how much information and expertise there is to learn from what is available. I would respectfully caution you on making a statement such as: "I know I have the ability to keep up with the pro's", confidence is a terrific thing, cockiness will get you into trouble quick. Even though you may not want to start out as a helper it really can be the best way to get your feet wet and have the opportunity to form an understanding of what it takes and what's involved in pipelining and welding pipe. As those two items can be vastly different. Starting out in any trade can be difficult and frustrating at times, whatever route you pursue in taking on your dream, be sure to keep your eyes and ears open and pay close attention to all of the details that you see going on. Don't hesitate to ask questions and be willing to jump in and help as needed or allowed. You will be in charge of your success, so how you go about building your reputation and earning the respect of others will be up to you to a great degree. Once again, welcome and I wish you the best of luck on your future in welding. Please do not misunderstand my statement regarding cockiness, I simply suggest that you keep an open mind and a ready willingness to keep on learning. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-22-2008 23:22
Spending a few weeks as a helper will allow you to LEARN about pipelines and where the welder fits in line. Your certification is not worth bipkis to a pipeline contractor. You test for almost ever job 12 on 12 butt and branch. Pipelining is a different world.
Also those guys from AK. Will they help you get a job up there? You dont just drive up on the slope and start hunting work.
Take your breaks where and when you get them. If somebody will let you hire out as a helper, it could ease you into a welding job.
BABRT's
Parent - - By fordsux8269 (**) Date 05-23-2008 01:15
I am very willing to start out as a helper if that is what its going to take for me to get started. I also am aware that my cert doesnt mean squat as I will have to test at every new job
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-23-2008 01:33
Hello again Corey, it isn't that your certification doesn't mean anything, it does mean that you were able to follow a procedure and make a weld that would meet and pass the necessary criteria. That in itself will give you a shot in most cases at being allowed to take a test for a perspective employer. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-23-2008 02:08
fordsux,
   While BigK may be very blunt about what he says, it is somewhat of a reality. And aevald has also been right on the mark. The important thing to realize from these two reply's is that the cert does mean something in a sense that it shows you have a certain amount of ability to weld, but you will always have to test when you apply. 

So IMHO they are both right on the mark.

John

BTW I like your user ID, GMC & Chevrolet. :-)
Parent - - By pipeliner04 (**) Date 06-04-2008 18:55
so you can hang with the pro's hugh,,,you ever get a chance to drive down the r.o.w. you might wanna keep those words to yourself,,,or someone will show you just how bad ass you are.  welding pipe in a "perfect" environment such as a classroom is like day and night as opposed to the line.  dont go on a job with an arrogant attitude,,you might have been faster than your classmates but uh,,,bein the last guy on the line to break arc before the gang moves sucks.  your attitudes great just take it in a different direction.  when you actually find a job,,dont be afraid to let someone know that you know absolutely nothing about how a pipeline goes together.  be sure to let em know your also here to learn and take any advice that you can.  dont be one of those guys that already knows everything before you actually see the right of way,,,because nobody will like you and you wont last long.  if your instructors there in ohio knew anything about the industry right now they would have passed on the amount of work to be done and the shortage of good welders now.  since you live in ft worth,,,show up one morning at a service station at about 6:15 in cleburne texas or glen rose,,,when a welder pulls up,,,just talk to him.  in that area is that simple,,,if hes not an ******* he should give you the number to the straw boss,,,if he needs you your good to go,,,if not,,,try a different station the next day.  and if by chance you do get on somewhere,,,WELD FAST AND LOOK WORRIED!!!!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-04-2008 20:25
pipeliner04,
   You replied to me "jrw159" and I am pretty sure this reply was not intended for me. It will probably be seen by the intended recipient, but if you hit the reply option on the post you are actually replying to, it will notify them.

Btw, I pipelined for a minute in the past and inspected pipeline for a minute as well, and I can say that what you are suggesting will indeed result in a job before too long.

Another option is, if you do not get hired on at the station in the morning, go to the local unemployment office (BAR) that has a few welding rigs outside, and you will find such bar's in said area, go inside order a drink and start talking to welders. BUT, this is the place where you really want to practice your humbleness, because a cocky attitude will result in a swift a**kickin if you go in with the wrong attitude.

But if you show them the respect that they show you it could very well lead to a job.

JMHO

jrw159
Parent - - By fordsux8269 (**) Date 06-05-2008 01:54
Thanks guys I know Im very confident it may come off as Cockyness but none the least I have 5 tests lined up when I get home I picked me up a 69 sa 200 last weekend. I love learning and I make certain that they know that I am just getting out of school with no real world pipeline experience whatsoever. But like as stated with such a shortage they really dont care. They all say come out and test.
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 06-05-2008 01:55
good luck man
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-05-2008 02:03
That is the key, "Come out and test" 
Parent - - By Billyjoe (***) Date 06-07-2008 02:56
you need to hire out as a welder helper frist for about 2 months so you can learn what is going on then you will get the inside of pipe welding school does not teach you everthing,there a lot more to pipewelding then the school teaches you ,
Parent - By Billyjoe (***) Date 06-07-2008 03:27
you want to keep up with the pros ,you need to put 5 to 10 years under your belt frist, I see so many KIDS ,YES I SAID KIDS ,think they are as good as a master weld , you still wet behind your ears , an be honest you might just
getting out of school ,but you have to pay your dues frist, I'v seen so many school welder selling there welding rigs,
because they don't want to learn it from the pros , your best thing to do is start out as a helper an go from there ,
I buy school boys weldering rigs , that school is just blowning smoke up your a-hole ,I run 5 welding rig now an I will not hire a welder less he has at least 7 years in the field. you need to grow up frist, befor you can be a master welder
I know I been welding for 35 years, can you put a tig root in a 72" pipe an hot pass with a 8010 , put a saddle on a 12' pipe, do you have $5,000,00 in template ,have you run a 6010 root and hot pass 8010 , and them paper you get from that school ,and a $1.50 will buy you a cup of coffe , I can't help it but people that just get out of school should work as a welder helper for at least 1 years ,because school KID ,YES I said KIDS ,don;t know there ass from a hole in the ground ,I don;t mean to be so hard on you but school to the field is a differnt ballgame/,I seen so many school boys get past the weld test an when they get to the field they are so lost ,it a shame ,learn from a real welder frist,
or email me I buy rig cheap.
Parent - - By Billyjoe (***) Date 06-07-2008 03:31
you need to hire out as a welder helper frist for about 1 year so you can learn what is going on then you will get the inside of pipe welding school does not teach you everthing,there a lot more to pipewelding then the school teaches you ,
Parent - - By TheBlackWidow (*) Date 06-09-2008 11:41
OMG SOMEONE WROTE THIS in a Welding Forum Back when i was in school and It Hit the Spot I have it blown up in my room to remind me everyday Just thought i would pass it on : )

Having went to a school is only the first step, the next thing is to select the right job. When you start that job, keep your mouth shut and your ears and eyes open and work hard. Learn to identify those who know what they are doing and those who do not. When you've identified the real McCoy, then it's time to open your mouth and pick their brain as much as they will allow. To be the best, you have to learn from the best and the ability to sort out the wannabe's from the real thing is a necessary job skill. Do that for the next 20 years and one day you'll find that your the one being questioned and watched. When that day comes don't forget where you came from and help the next generation along. All of which is applicable to any craft or trade.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-09-2008 13:39
NICE!!! :-)

jrw159
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / H