Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / New welders
- By aevald (*****) Date 05-23-2008 00:24
Hello All, a recent post got me to thinking and also reminded me of many conversations I have shared with employers, instructors, and welders in general. Many of them ask why can't the graduates and trainees that come out of welding programs weld? From the outside looking in, that is a very good question. To me, the short answer is: I believe they can, yet at the same time, in many instances they certainly haven't been introduced to the "other" variables that go along with welding. Knowing how to lay down a bead, set a machine, understand the mechanics and metallurgical aspects of welding are certainly attainable through schooling and training programs. In "some" instances I believe the folks doing the training don't take the time to thoroughly explain the additional learning that will be required of their students or the fact that the learning will never stop. At the same time that I just made the previous statement, students will many times ignore the statements of their instructors and develop their "own" ideas regarding their capabilities, which are sometimes very much inflated.
     My own personal experiences with students run the range of capabilities, attitudes, confidence or lack of it, drive, and any number of other attributes that will affect student success in the trades. I believe we have all heard of the term "teaching to the test", it is so true that much of the various types of training will be specifically targeted towards achieving specific and well defined goals. Public trades education is left to remain somewhat general in many instances, you never know where a student will end up so it is very difficult at times to individualize their training so that they can be really competent when they go after a specific job. On the forum here it is spoken of many times by many people, "they think they're a welder until they're hanging by their toes 100' in the air trying to get back under a section of wide flange and make a code weld", or similar scenarios. Pretty hard in most instances to truly simulate this and train for it. Definitely not understood by most students as they very likely have never experienced anything like it so they don't know how they will really react until the time actually comes.
     Sometimes the goals set forth by colleges, vo-techs, and other trades schools are the result of government mandated specifics, particularly when related to public education and remaining accredited, or qualified for funding, or meeting other restrictions and limitations. In most instances these institutions also have the benefit of input from advisory boards, yet these alliances still limit the scope of training that is provided, as I feel they have to. Private training is very focused in many instances as it is directed towards achieving very specific levels of competency concerning a companies production and quality goals, which should be the case since they are investing in their workforce and even though this education is directed toward their goals, if these employees leave the company they are still taking this training with them. Other private training, such as that provided by Lincoln, Hobart, and other schools of this sort, can certainly provide more in-depth and comprehensive training in specific areas. This really is their goal and it is also why you will pay fairly dearly for the training they provide. Yet should you decide to venture outside of the scope of training received from them you will still need to understand that additional learning will need to take place.
     I guess the basic idea for all of my rambling concerns differing understandings of the various parties involved with the welding trade. When trainers train they need to do the best they can to convey all relative information as best as they can. Students and trainees need to listen, ask questions, put forth their very best effort to grasp and apply the information and skills they are being taught. They also need to go back to or enter into the trade with the idea that they have been given some tools to work with and they will now need to try to apply the use of these tools to whatever challenges come at them with the understanding that they have only scraped the tip of the iceburg and now they will need to pay attention, ask more questions, and further develop the applications of these skills with the help of the others around them as their learning will continue from that point onward. Employers, co-workers, and others that encounter these new folks will need to understand that they also have a role in the success of individuals entering into or upgrading to, new skill areas or a trade. As much as an individual trying to make a start in a trade needs to be responsible for putting forth effort, those around them are also responsible for their success by the types of interactions that they will have with these people. If the interactions are positive, it is likely that everyone will benefit, if they're not then most likely everyone will not realize the full potential for success. Done with the ramblings for now. Have a good one everyone. Best regards, Allan 
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / New welders