Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding in lower michigan
- - By weaver (***) Date 05-23-2008 02:30
wondering whats happening in michigan right now?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-23-2008 02:41
I haven't a clue.
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 05-23-2008 02:52
If the Pistons and Red Wings keep winning there might be some jobs opening up because too many folks will be calling in sick (hung-over). 
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-23-2008 11:52
You could try K&M Manufacturing in Cassopolis - S/W Lower in the boondocks.  They do heavy fab.  Were looking for a welding engineer.  May always have a need for welders.  I did not want to live in the boondocks as a single person, so they told me to find Chicago.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-23-2008 22:03
not knowing specifically what type of work you're looking for...

I'm from Ann Arbor and obtained an AAS in welding and fabrication from WCC. I worked as a welder in several small shops around the area as well as a shop in detroit. From my experience there actually are a decent amount of work in the area. When people think south east michigan than think detroit auto. but that's not the only work. Ann Arbor has an abundance of small research, specialty and technical companies. This is probably due to the abundance of brain power radiating from Uof M. I worked briefly for a small engineering consulting company and job shop. There was a lot of work coming from these small companies.
outside a few cities, ann arbor, grand rapids, traverse city (okay that's not lower michigan) the economy is declining. However as most of us know or assume there's a shortage of skilled welders and welding engineers. I had no problem finding work.

The work is there, but the state economy is at the state of collapse thanks to the flounderings of detroit auto.

What brings you to southern michigan?
Parent - - By choche Date 05-24-2008 00:52
There might be jobs but for only 9.00 to 14.00 an hour if your lucky. Dertroit auto U.A.W. does bad everyone does bad around here. Housing market sucks new construction sucks builders want dirt low bids and don't pay anyways. Alot of guys hiring cheap illigal help and it's just making it harder to make a good wage, cutting each others throat ends up hurting the trades it's hard to make a profit if you can find work and then gas and materials keep going up but our wages don't even stay the same they go lower. I'm a plumber going to school for pipe welding and my boss and all the oldest inspectors out there say it's never been this bad not even in the early eighties. Sorry not trying to b*cth to much but there just isn't to many good paying trades jobs. My buddy is union electrition local 58 he said theres like 13 or 1500 guys laid off in his union alone, and American Axle just went on strike for half there wage pretty much was told take it or were going to Mexico 28.00 to 14.00 an hour and that's the U.A.W. When will it end??????
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-24-2008 06:20
I had a "decent" paying, permanent job in Auburn Hills, the company moved to Lapeer and I decided not to make the move... working in Kazakhstan for a Houston based Company and making MORE than 3 times as much money as when I was in Michigan.  The way I look at things is if you want to stay in Michigan be prepared to go broke.  I lived there back in 1984 also and it hasn't improved any.  Recent MSN article listed Detroit as the most miserable city in America and I can't say I disagree.  Along with all the other woes of the state, it's got the most corrupt politicians anywhere!  Am a homeowner in Michigan so am also "stuck" like so many others...
Parent - - By choche Date 05-24-2008 11:32
unfortuneatly your right as soon as I'm done with school I'm outa here. And yes It's pretty bad when the a**hole mayor of Detroit Kwame makes national headlines for being a corrupt cheating mayor.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-25-2008 01:26
I hate to tell you this mny friend, but it's not just national news, it's international!  Even my co-workers in Kazakhstan are asking me what the hell is up with Detroit's Mayor and then there's the incompetent Governor... but that's another story.  The saddest part is is the voters put both of them back in office, unless that was "fixed" too...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding in lower michigan