Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SA 200 water temp instalation ???
- - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-26-2008 01:55
How the heck do you get that plug out the side of the head to install the temperature gauge?? I tried running the machine getting it super hot to break it free and nothing and even tried runn a small impact gun on it and nothing. Tried some break free for a couple of days and nothing or should I just get the biggest dang cheater pipe I can find and try and break it loose like that??? What should I do??
Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-26-2008 02:30
Chris,
You may not want to, but I have done this on Caterpillar engines...square head pipe plug right? Weld a nut (attach ground directly to the nut) to the plug and let completely cool, the shrink effect and heat usually breaks the seal/sealant and allows for easy removal. If you are worried about welding onto your engine, then use the smallest torch welding tip available and heat up the plug, you might want to make a mask out of sheet metal for protection. Let cool and try that, then when the end of the plug strips or breaks off, refer back to the first method. Experience taught me to just go by method #1 and save the frustration of having to weld onto a plug that has broken flush with the block, and having to do it twice. When they break off flush, then you have to get the TIG rig out, build up an area in the middle and then weld the nut on. Drilling and using lefthand threaded easy-outs really aren't that great of an option because the they tend to expand the fitting tighter plus the risk of shavings and debris in the engine.
Good luck to ya!
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-26-2008 02:52
I don't really like that because all that heat consentrated in one area may take the chance of warping the head. I'll try and use more penetrating oil and get a bigger cheater pipe and if I still can't get it off then I guess I just won't have a temp gauge on it.

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By millerman (**) Date 05-26-2008 20:38
Chris  the way i have done it < acouple of times > is buy a cheap allen head socket  tap in the plug and weld it to it and use a impact gun the heat and  hammering has allways wocked for me let it cool down a bit before you put the impact to it and DONT COOL IT DOWN WITH ANY WATER AT ALL. hope this helps

Mac
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-27-2008 04:36
but what happens if the cheap allen socket breaks off in it?? that would really suck
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-27-2008 06:45
I would have a problem with the "cheap" allen head. And then tapping, screwing in a threaded fitting just puts more expansion force to the already tight plug and plus all that work...the nut trick works pretty good and yes you don't want to over heat things, the thread sealant makes a decent heat barrier and helps prevent "bluing" of the head. I did a zillion of them and was the poor sap that got called in when others "F'-ed" it all up.
I realize that I did not own these pieces of machinery and that this is your baby, your bread and butter and don't want to mess it up. Might be best to just walk away now while it hopefully doesn't leak and nothing is broken! Of course there is a big difference between BROKE and RUINED! Right?

hope it works, which ever route you take
Parent - By millerman (**) Date 05-27-2008 13:00
when i said cheap i mean like a sears or an proto good tools not that exspincive  the heat from welding is drawn down the allen socket  and heats up the plug evenly and have never had  a socket break or stripped the threads and i have done the nut it works tends to spread heat out  and super is right  if you are not comfratable doing itthen i wouldnt

Thanks
Mac
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SA 200 water temp instalation ???