Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need Spool Gun for MillerMatic 200
- - By Allen Moss (*) Date 05-26-2008 03:34
Greetings Folks,
I could use your help. I am new to the site and have been scanning past pages of the shop talk thread in order to find info on spool guns for an old Miller Matic 200 I recently bought. I have done hobby type welding with stick for a number of years But have just recently decided to try to self teach myself about Mig. I seem to get along very well until I tried aluminum. As all of "you" already know it just will not push in this machine. My machine has a 4 prong plug for a spool gun. I have looked on e bay and several local (Ocala, Fl.)"for sale" sites but have not found any. I don't plan on making a living in welding but would like to find a used spool gun for this machine. I thought that as old as this machine is that there would be some likewise old spool guns around on the shelves no longer being used. I would be pleased if any of you could give me a tip or two about which guns to stay away from and which ones to look for and why. I found an article about the AEC-200. It sounded interesting but what do I know?  Thank you.
  Have Fun,
  Allen
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-26-2008 04:48
The AEC is a newer version of the Airco Miget 20-E spool gun. These are funky retro looking units, but in My experience work well. At one point long ago there was a version [prior to AEC] made for and sold by Miller. AEC MAY make a direct connect unit that will work with Your 4 pin plug, check the weldmart.com website. The Miller Spoolmatic 1C spoolgun has a 4 pin plug, it will PROBABLY direct connect to Your unit. The Miller website shows the Millermatic 200 with a 14 pin connection, probably a newer version than Yours. Other spool guns will probably require a controll box to operate on Your machine.
Parent - - By Allen Moss (*) Date 05-27-2008 22:06
Dave,
Thank you for the info. I have been looking at the sites for used spool guns. Do you ever see any? They seem to be few and far between. How often are the Airco Miget 20-e listed? Is there a better place to look to find used spool guns? I just may have to take my time and see what comes up on the for sale thread. You wrote about the Spoolmatic 1C spool gun. Have you ever used one? Which guns would you advise getting and are there any to stay away from? Thanks again.
Allen
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-28-2008 03:18
    There are frequently spool guns on eBay, but most will require a control box, which is sometimes included. I have the Airco Miget 20-E on My Airco Dip Pak 200, it uses a control board that fits in the front pannel of the machine. I have also built a control that will drive these guns from off the shelf parts.

I don't have a Spolmatic 1C, but I think it might direct connect to Your machine because of the 4 pin plug.

Some of My friends have the older Spoolmatic guns, I think they are satisfied with them. One friend has a MK Prince, it is real nice. I think any of the industrial units will be OK, but having said that I do have an old Air Products unit that I think was made by CK Systematics, it is a bit twinky compaired to the Miget 20-E. This unit looks much like the Hobart SP 2000 and Lincoln Magnum Spool Gun. I never used it, It is pretty light and compact, it might work OK.

Another alternative for light use might be the inexpensive Miller & Lincoln guns [$190-250 new, on eBay], but I think You will have to figure out how to make them work with Your machine. They direct connect to the machines they are built to fit.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 02:32
:-)
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-28-2008 03:37
Not sure what is going on John (jrw159) but are you writing with invisible ink ? There is a half dozen different posts on the forum that are blank ?????
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-28-2008 03:57
I think He has "Diamond Envy" and is gong to get that 4th diamond ASAP.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 04:05
no, I am having some kind of difficulty. I think the diamonds do not mean squat. I have too many already.

I wish the "rate" option was installed in all areas becuase that is what counts. IE-What someone gets out of it wether it is your first or you one thousand five hundred and first. :-)

A spell check option would be nice too, but oh the HE** that might break loose over that might astronomical.

jrw159

^()
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 05-28-2008 04:19
Dave,
That's funny as He**! LMAO!!
I was wondering what John was up to. I thought he just might simply be happy w/ all those smiley faces!!
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 04:24
yeah I did a search of my recent posts and apparently I am one happy guy!  LOL :-)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 04:27
BTW how many posts do you need to reach four?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 03:58
Shane,
  If you ever get a line on a long term inspection job in Australia, PM me. I will relocate.

John
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-28-2008 05:05
John,
There is something like US$60 billion worth of projects going ahead in Western Australia over the next 5 years. (LNG, Oil & Gas and Iron ore)
Best site for employment prospects in Australia is www.seek.com.au and type Welding Inspector into the search engine.
I am intending to keep working overseas and not return to work in Australia so I am not much help to you.
Send your email address to sbrwelding@hotmail.com and I will forward some more info to you.
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need Spool Gun for MillerMatic 200