Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Really...how hard is welding on body?
- - By zoobrana Date 05-26-2008 07:20
Hi guys new here to this site. I am in the UA welding program. Currently working on pipe in the  6G position. My question is, is welding really hard on the body. Where I am being trained we have HVAC Tech, Plumbing and Pipe journeymen coming in an practicing. The HVAC Techs complain about having to squeeze in between small spaces, closets, under houses, roof tops etc. Right know the only thing hurting is my feet from standing on concrete for 10+ hours. Maybe it is the cheap workboots, I wear. Other than that I feel good, I'm not tired or anything. By the way I am 28 years old. I have had many laborious jobs where I was dog tired after 5 hours, by the 7th hour I was ready to pass out/quit. Right now welding doesn't seem so bad on the body.

To find out more I went online at looked at pictures of pipeline work, the welders seem to be out in the open atmosphere, not in confined spaces. Is welding pipe as hard on the body as HVAC or residential plumbing? My instructor who is in his 60's was complaining about his knees, but what 60+ year old man isn't. From those who have had office jobs their entire lives to grave diggers. 

My question is to the welders who have been doing it for some time, are you broken down at 45, 55, 65 after welding for 10, 20, 30 years?

I really appreciate anyone answering this question. Thanks.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-26-2008 09:54
zoobrana,
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Forum, and congratulate you on what most of us here would consider an excellent career choice. To me the hardest on the feet and legs is to stand in one position or area on concrete floors. BTW do your feet a favor and with your first paycheck get a pair of comfortable (Wolverines are my choice, not cheap, but not overly pricey either) work boots. Depending on the job, you never know when your going to be called upon to "python" yourself into some awful contortionist nightmare to ply your trade. Boiler tube welders do this daily.
Common sense dictates that if you take care of your body and stay in shape, it will serve you well, whether your an office puke (like me now) or climbing the iron. You don't have to be an Olympian, and I think it is more beneficial to limber/flexible. I've done this kinda work for "a few years" and I gots more aches and pains from broken bones bouncing off of rocks having fun on skis, sno-machines, bikes, rafts, etc (or maybe those are just masking the true injuries from burnin rod....NOT!)
Main thing is to take care of your eyes, lungs and back! Use all PPE provided and properly, and follow safe lifting proceedures and body positioning. Even when I was young, I'd often get ridiculed for using cranes and come-a-longs instead of macho-man-ing it up there. When asked if I had a bad back..I reply "No I got a good back and it's gonna stay that way!!!"
Gotta go now and put some linament on my sore shoulder and elbow from whipping the rod too much the other day. That's an 8-1/2' Fenwick Fly Rod BTW!

Enjoy and take care
Parent - - By Catmechanic Date 05-26-2008 14:23
I second Superflux's suggestion to buy good boots.  For me it's Redwings, find a boot that is comfortable and stay with it.  Don't be afraid to spend a couple hundred for a decent boot that will last.  Better to spend $200 for boots that will last 2-3 yrs than spend $50 a pair that need to be replaced every 3-6 months.  Also get waterproof ones if you'll be working outside, 10hrs+ with wet feet is no fun.

Get the best you can in any protective equipment for your job(and USE it!  Especially EAR PLUGS and safety glasses!).  The extra expense now will pay off 20-30 yrs in better health.

I spent 16 yrs repairing heavy equipment for a dirt & pipe contractor.  Lots of welding in tough positions(laying in the mud under D8's welding cracked track frames, crawling inside scrapers welding tailgates, hanging on a ladder welding cracked excavator booms, laying in a trench 12 ft below a riverbed welding casing pipe for watermain) so I can say, yes there are some areas that can be a bit tough on the body but if you use your head you can minimize the damage.  Biggest thing is don't get in a hurry and do stupid things just to get done quick.  Take your time and work smart, take that extra minute to put earplugs in before you pick up a hammer and beat that piece of steel into submission.  Walk over to the truck and get your safety glasses before you pick up the grinder and grind that tiny burr off("I only needed the grinder for a second.  Now I can't see out of that eye." - it does happen).

Take care of your body now while you're young you'll be glad you did later on.  If you wind up working for someone who doesn't think your health and safety is more important than their bottom line, pack up your tools and move on.  If you are good at what you do and work hard, there is always another job waiting.

Jim S
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-26-2008 14:34
Jim S,
  Nice statement. "Take care of your body now while you're young you'll be glad you did later on.  If you wind up working for someone who doesn't think your health and safety is more important than their bottom line, pack up your tools and move on.  If you are good at what you do and work hard, there is always another job waiting."

I sure would like to see this thread in the "Safety" section.

Best regards,
John
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-26-2008 21:54
It is cumulative. A pipeliner is up and down. Over time hard on the knees and back. Standing on concrete again day in and day out gets to you. Worming you body into tight spaces or out in the weather for weeks at a time.
Great fun for a young guy, not so very much as you pass 45.
Heavy plate welders swing hammers for hours.
Then you have your eyes.
Then as you get older, you loose a little of the eye-hand coordination. Then more.
Face it, as you get older, you cant do with your body what you could 20 years ago. Regardless what anyone sayes, welding is a young mans game. I know a few welders over 55 who are still welding. But they are the exception. And as an inspector who test a lot of welders, I can remember passing only 2 welders older than 60 on a standard pipeline weld test.
BABRT's
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-27-2008 01:16
"I can remember passing only 2 welders older than 60 on a standard pipeline weld test"   Kahunna I don't know how many tried but by that age I figure most made their money and are done....or moved up into something easier.   At least I would hope so...good post and perspective tho.    if I get the shakes I or lose my sight now I will be done in a heartbeat.  

What you put your body thru right now you will DEFINITELY FEEL later...whether its good or bad is up to you.

Welding can be extremely physical work but as you gain experience you can have better choices as to the conditions you work under.  Myself for instance...I went from burning as much wire as I could stand all day in one position, to swinging those sledge hammers, working under skidders/dozers/trackhoes, walking iron, welding up chemical pipe to now.....sitting in a chair in an air conditioned shop...welding on things that weigh out in ounces instead of tons.   As far as your body most of the jobs I had helped me stay in good shape and did much more good then any harm to me.

my $.02
Tommy
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-27-2008 12:50 Edited 05-27-2008 12:56
Are you just going to be a service fitter or are you going to see the industrial side of our trade as well?  If you get to see the industrail side, you'll get ya a taste of a body beetin sometimes brotha.;-)  You'll feel it if you get out in the field I promise.  Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad all of the time, but there will be some instances where you will be wishing you were in a closet or under a house.  Or are you just going to be a service fitter working on HVAC stuff all the time?  If you get a chance to get out on some shutdowns or industrial construction, jump on it and get out there and get ya some.  I don't know how well I'd do under a house with spiders and other types of creepy crawlies so I'll give you service guys some props there.
Parent - - By zoobrana Date 05-28-2008 04:22
I don't know what I will be doing yet. At the moment they just have us welding pipe and passing 4 certification tests.  I'm ready for the challenges of being a pipe welder. I will continue to work out 3X's /week at the gym, when I finally do start working for a salary. Thanks to everyone who replied.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-28-2008 04:31
The hardest thing on my body is my feet I have high arches. I had to get some custom inserts for my boots they were $300 dollars but so well worth it but still hurt when I'm on them for 12 or more hours a day but not as bad as before. Take care of your feet

Chris
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 05-28-2008 10:40 Edited 05-28-2008 11:46
Take care of your wrists.

Made that mistake working at a different company while I was on layoff from the current company, and it still acts up.  Long story short, I was trying to muscle a big steel sawhorse to where I wanted it, and put all my weight into my left wrist (and as far as body mechanics go, you just don't do that!) and it gave out.  I won't do that again.  That was last summer.  Live and learn.  It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't left handed, but alas...

I don't mind cramming myself into places (I'm young, 147 pounds and 23, still learning as I go), but what I'm getting at is the best advice I've ever gotten.  "Work smart, not hard!"

The thing that sucks about being my size?  Everything is big!  In the big picture it's good, as I seem to have this obsession with working on larger and larger projects!

Wear kneepads if you're kneeling for extended periods.  If the pads you use aren't sufficient, get better ones!  Kneeling on bare metal isn't fun!

IMO:  Spiders, moths, flies, and whatever else all seem to be attracted to the pretty blue light.  They also smell pretty nasty when they burn, so wear a respirator or dustmask.  :)

I'm asthmatic, but I've never let it stop me from doing anything!  Welding fumes don't set it off, but If you're ever in any enclosed space, I'd HIGHLY recommend a respirator or dustmask of some sort!
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-28-2008 11:43 Edited 05-28-2008 11:45
Take care of your lungs. One of my Welding Engineering professors died a slow and painful death from lung cancer - in his late 50's.  It is strange because he never smoked a cigarette in his entire life.  One of the things I remember about the welding lab was poor ventilation.  It is a controversial topic no doubt.  He was very hands on and did lots of welding development for his consulting job with oil industry companies.  He was also there for years watching students weld.  It might have been something else that caused it, but it makes me suspicious.  The entire flap lately is to avoid chrome vapor like the plague.  If you are a welder, use good ventilation or wear a respirator for toxic stuff.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-28-2008 14:40
now let me ask about wearing a mask. Will the 3M mask that have the two canisters on each side filter out the smoke from like stick welding?? or do you need a mask that pumps fresjh air to you??

Chris
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 14:57
Chris,
  This will depend on several things such as ventilation methods, material and possible coatings, to name a few. When it comes to protecting ones self from welding fumes it will vary from one condition to the next, and this is something that is evolving everyday. For basic CS non coated welding applications, a general ventilation system consisting of anything from a fan to an open door, combined with proper placement of the welders head out of the plume can be sufficient.

Another thing to realize is the use of most respiratory devices, should be accompanied by a fit test and evaluation by a doctor. If the use of these devices is a requirement fit test are required.

But that is a can of worms you could fish with for days.

John

FYI: If you do a search on this subject you could be reading for awhile. Lots of discussions about this.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-28-2008 20:13
a fit test?? a doctor?? **** on that I'll go buy my own stuff LOL
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 20:31
Chris,
  Bear in mind the fit test is only "required" if the usage of respiratory devices is manditory.

Voluntary is a whole other animal.

I hear you on the fit test though. Many people want to take care of themselves until they realize the measures that are necessary and in some instances required, then it is "**** on that!" LOL

Like I said though, for the most part, under normal circumstances, proper head placement and normal airflow is sufficient.
IMHO the times when the extreme measures are necessary, you will be dealing with SS, exotic's, or coatings of some sort.

John
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 05-28-2008 20:35
My buddy works on pipe in a chlorine plant and they have manditory monthly doctor visits to perform fit test verifications on every employee.  If your fit is not right, you are red shirted and not allowed in the plant until you have a proper fit mask.  It must be a really dusty place!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 20:47
MDG,
  With that stringent of a procedure and "chlorine" I would venture to guess that it is more of a chemical issue rather than dust.

This, of course, is pure speculation on my part since I have no first hand knowledge of chlorine plants. :-)

John
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 05-29-2008 00:22
I think welding is good for you. I've been at it 30 years and I kick ass. Spent two weeks recently tuning up on 12 on 12 pipe, one week on saddles. I'm always fine on top so all I practiced was bottoms. That's brutal labor and lots of scrambling on knees and catching stray sparks, of course, but it beats a sedentary job all to heck! A little gym work is also a good idea. Swimming is best of all. I'm not sure I'm up for seven 12's, though.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Really...how hard is welding on body?